No comment on this. We'll have to see how many maps come in, eh?
Okay, time for mass commentage:
* DM maps. I say these should be done in a separate episode (E5) for D1, and just follow the Quake DM map naming scheme for D2. (This does break Boom/MBF/SMMU compatibility for DM, but it's better than nothing, and we can put the DM levels into a separate WAD as well. Plus, I don't think any of these ports without a console or such allow netplay.)
* Storyline. I'll go out on a limb here and say "let's use the original Doom Bible for this." Wildman already has a good storyline going there.
Well, to avoid IP prob's, we should probably eschew Doom Bible et.al for inspiration & go totally original.
* Monsters. This should be fun - let's get a list of *new* monsters we'd like to see.
I was thinking of a few things for the unique Doom monster behaviors:
-pe/lost souls would be replaced maybe by some kind of robotic thing that launches orbs--remember Phantasm? Those things had an attack reminiscent of skullfly. LOL then we get the movie studio after us instead of Carmack.
-archie could be electrical, w/ lighting crackling around him & his victim.
-chaingunner could be a walking turret (shot attack, rapidfire)
Anyway, I need some feedback re: Iikka's sprites, esp. if we are going for a cohesive set of monsters.
* Textures. This does not appear to be a problem at this point, aside from the already-mentioned things of alignment issues. However, one point - we should use the WFALL series of textures and the SWATER series of flats. No sense in not getting all the animated textures we can out of this. (I'm not sure if Legacy supports the Boom system of the ANIMATED and SWITCHES lumps.)
* Port compatibility. This is the fun part.
Probably the simplest way to do this is to distribute the main, non-port-dependent IWADs, and then, in addition, distribute PWADs that match to specific ports (or have those ports that already have an autoloaded PWAD [EDGE, ZDoom, Legacy] come with a modified version for use with Freedoom).
I agree w/ all this. Sounds good.
* Weapons. Sadly, we're sorta stuck with how the weapons are, except for in EDGE. It just becomes a case of "make the weapons look different". This sucks Carmack's balls.
* Sounds. Already in progress. Should be interesting.
That's everything I wanted to comment on.
What sounds are in progress? You have my attention.