Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
maggot202

[boom] how to teleport a cacodemon?

Hello
I'm working on a boom map, and i'm looking to create a trap that teleports a cacodemon. I tried to do this using a scrolling floor, but that doesn't work, since cacodemons floats, so they're not touching the floor. Wind doesn't seem to wok either. Is there a way to do this that doesn't involve joining the sector that has the cacodemon with some sector where the player is battling forces of hell? (if i use that method, the player will be able to hear the cacodemon, and i don't want to give any clue, apart from this question, that reveals my plans).

Thanks!

If your map is not too small, you can still use the join sector method. Just place the cacobox in the opposite side of the level. One place where this concealing wouldn't work would be real vanilla Doom levels 8, but source ports really remove that quirk.

If you make your map for PrBoom you might be able to add an OPTIONS lump based on the configuration file, that says that monsters are affected by wind and friction. It works because PrBoom includes the MBF port features. The OPTIONS part hopefully works in PrBoom. Note that if you do this, you eliminate any full compatibility with ZDoom (it will work but the caco just won't appear), but you may still hope on a PrBoom (or Eternity!)-only audience.

Feel free to contradict me on the "monsters pushed by wind" part -- where I meant linear wind not point pullers. I haven't experimented it for a long while, BUT I remember seeing it in action in the test wad MBFEDIT!.WAD.

Ajapted came up with some solution a while back to the flying-monster scrolling-teleport problem involving putting them under transfer heights water or some such thing, if I remember right.

If you don't mind your caco(s) losing a bit of hp, you can use a crusher on a barrel to minimally push a caco over a teleport linedef. Given it'll take 10 or so less bullets to kill sending two would be better than 1. Barrels are only 32 units tall so making the ceiling of the crusher 33 units gives a very quick teleport.

P.S. but really I just make a line of teleport boxes say 10k units in a direction from the map like printz was saying, works just fine.

The trick that Essel mentions works perfectly; I've used it recently to push sphere powerups. Give the dummy sector with your cacodemon and teleport linedef a scrolling floor, like you normally would, but also make another dummy sector, with a floor height higher than the ceiling height of the first dummy sector, give one of the linedefs of the second sector the "create fake ceiling and floor" action, and give this line the same tag as your first dummy sector. This works because Boom was initially coded with some weird behaviour exceptions meant to mimic water, wind, and etc.

esselfortium said:

Ajapted came up with some solution a while back to the flying-monster scrolling-teleport problem involving putting them under transfer heights water or some such thing, if I remember right.

Yeah, make the scrolling floor sector have a fake floor in it and all flying monsters will be affected by the scrolling just fine.

printz said:

Note that if you do this, you eliminate any full compatibility with ZDoom (it will work but the caco just won't appear)

Actually, you can use a MAPINFO lump and in your map declaration, add the "compat_mbfmonstermove" keyword.

If you put ZDoom in "MBF" compat mode, the only part of MBFEdit!.wad that's not working is the "torque" code. Then you've got some slight differences in the trajectories of the grenade and the A_Mushroom projectiles, but those can't be helped.

printz said:

Feel free to contradict me on the "monsters pushed by wind" part -- where I meant linear wind not point pullers. I haven't experimented it for a long while, BUT I remember seeing it in action in the test wad MBFEDIT!.WAD.

Contradicting you because MBFEdit!.wad uses a point pusher in its "wind tunnel".

Super Jamie said:

Doesn't Boom include Pusher and Puller Things which can be used for this?

I don't remember which port worked which way, but at least prboom+ and ZDoom work differently when pushing/pulling cacos. The fake floor is the only reliable way to teleport non-awakened flying monsters that'll work in most (or all) Boom-compat ports.

Boom introduced friction and point pushers/pullers, but they only affected the player. MBF changed it so that monsters are affected as well. If you play MBFEdit!.wad in PrBoom+ with complevel 9 (Boom), the caco and lost souls in the wind tunnel don't budge. In ZDoom, it's off by default but there's a compat option to turn it on, as I said above.

Creaphis said:

The trick that Essel mentions works perfectly; I've used it recently to push sphere powerups. Give the dummy sector with your cacodemon and teleport linedef a scrolling floor, like you normally would, but also make another dummy sector, with a floor height higher than the ceiling height of the first dummy sector, give one of the linedefs of the second sector the "create fake ceiling and floor" action, and give this line the same tag as your first dummy sector. This works because Boom was initially coded with some weird behaviour exceptions meant to mimic water, wind, and etc.

Hey, that worked like a charm :).
Thanks a lot for the answers, guys, you've really helped me out here