Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Ezxariarch

How do I make each level use its individual sky with Zdoom

I'm a little tired of a a entire group of levels using the same sky. And i saw a lot of Zdoom levels able to use its own sky for each map. Um can anyone tell meeh how I do this. I think its like using the "Mapinfo" in Hexen rite?

Yes, using MAPINFO is the way, and it works with normal Zdoom/Boom enhanced style levels as well as Zdoom's own ZdoomHexen format.

eg (from a MAPINFO of mine)

map map01 "BGPA HEAD QUARTERS"
sky1 CSKY01 0.0
music N_0000
cluster 1
fallingdamage
nointermission
next MAP01

map map02 "RG-BGPA Transport Station"
sky1 njsky29 0.0
music N_0015
evenlighting
fallingdamage
cluster 2

The sky1 line is what you are interested in. The entries CSKY01 and njsky29 are just names of textures that will be used for the sky. The 0.0 is the speed to scroll the sky. The skies above do not scroll. 0.1 would make it scroll slowly 0.2 a bit quicker...

If you set up a MAPINFO, you should specify all the relevant stuff you want in your map. eg not having the music line will mean no music is played.

Check out the Zdoom editing reference

http://zdoom.notgod.com/reference/

Specifically the MAPINFO page

http://zdoom.notgod.com/reference/mapinfo.html

THANX SO MUCH.. but one more question. If my sky is made up of 4 256x128 patches, does it still work? Another question. Do I use the name of the Texture name? or do i use it the BMPs name? Ex.

Sky 1 in doom II is named Rsky1 in the texture. Do i use SKY1 or Rsky1?

If you mean can you use 4 x 256x128 patches to make a 1024x128 sky texture, the answer is yes, and as you probably know a 1024 sky will wrap around perfectly with no repeated areas in the sky. You can make the skies taller too.

In the MAPINFO it is the TEXTURE name you use. With the default doom2 skies this would be sky1, sky2, sky3 although you can use any texture as the sky. Using patch names, eg RSKY1 will not work.

Um.. one problem with a 1024 pixel sky. When i make it move after if finishes scrolling the first 256 part of it, it instantly warps bak into it and stats over from the first patch of the sky texture. Ex(this is from my new DM megawad)

map MAP04 "INFERNO'S KEEP"
sky1 AAK_SKY6 0.3 (made up of patches SKY6A,B,C, and D)
sky2 AAK_MNT1
music D_BETWEE
next MAP05

after scrolling the A patch of the texture, it startrs over at A again. Another problem, i tried to make it so its 2 skys, a moutain forground with a sky in bak scrolling, but the back sky wont show up where theres black in the foreground. I think i did what the Zdoom reference told me, but it doesnt work. Any ideas?

Edit: this post has been cut down simply because it contained a bunch of stuff that resulted from me not reading Ezxariarch's post properly. Bad Enjay.

I haven't played around with 2 skies, but I *think* you need to have the line "doublesky" in your MAPINFO if you want 2 skies to work together. Sky1 is supposed to be drawn over Sky2, so if there are no gaps in sky1, then sky2 won't be seen.

"Sky2 will show through wherever sky1 is color 0 (*not* cyan)"

(from the Zdoom manual).

My reading of that is anywhere the sky graphic has the colour that is at 0 in the doom palette (one of the black entries) there will be a hole to let you see sky 2 through sky1. From a quick check, there are at least 2 black entries, one is at position 0, the other at 247. The 247 slot is often used as a cyan colour in the palette of graphics to be imported into doom, but that colour doesn't actually exist in the doom palette. It is used by the various tools to mark the areas of a graphic that will be treated as transparent when converted to the doom format. (at least that's how I remember it).

Hope some of that helps

Ezxariarch

Ooops, there does seem to be a problem. I misread what you were saying. I thought you meant the sky did not wrap round properly, wheras you are clearly saying the sky does not scroll properly. I've never tried scrolling a 1024 wide sky before. I just tried a static 1024 sky. It worked fine, but when I made it a scrolling one, it would scroll for a while and then jump.

999cop

1024 skies should work for the original EXE and will provide a full wrap around, non repeating sky. It will not be able to scroll in the original EXE, and the sky cannot be allocated to individual levels, and the double sky thing won't work either.

Edit: Ezxariarch, OK, just sent my example WAD to Randy and explained you had raised the problem. I guess It'll either be fixed or we will be told long skies don't scroll.

BTW, the problem exists in Zdoom 1.17, 1.22 and the most recent 1.23 beta (just checked them all)

1024 skies should work for the original EXE and will provide a full wrap around, non repeating sky. It will not be able to scroll in the original EXE, and the sky cannot be allocated to individual levels, and the double sky thing won't work either.

1024 skies? like the ones appear to be used in final doom for plutonia or tnt? stretched skies than the doom2 original 256x128? well, I got that one using right now. Okay, then, it's settled, I knew individual skies could't work in original EXEs. If it could, HR2 would have done the trick already. Oh well, it was worth a try :)

Zdoom 1.23 beta 29 has been released. This was in the change log with the source:

January 19, 2002
- Fixed: Sky textures wider than 1024 could not scroll properly because the sky position was always clamped to 255.

Unfortunately b29 has a bug that makes the rocket splash damage directional (so from some angles you can be pulled towards the explosion) which is the only bug I have spotted that really upsets gameplay so far. It will probably be enough to put quite a few people off using this beta (esp for DM). I've also spotted a couple of other minor dehacked related bugs.

The sky scrolling bug does indeed seem to be fixed however.

http://zdoom.notgod.com/ftp/123beta29.zip