Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
bytor

"Using zips..." mapinfo, music/ help

Trying to use my own .zip/.pk3 for the first time and I'm using Perkristian's music (.ogg) files for this. Zdoom 2.4.1, doom2 iwad. My zip has inside it a 'music' folder with the .ogg files, and it has a mapinfo.txt that reads:

map Map02
{
music = "perkristian_doom2-map02.ogg"
}

Zdoom loads the lumps but when it reads the mapinfo:

Script error, "perkmusi.pk3:mapinfo.txt" line4:
perkristian_doom2-map02: Unknown top level keyword

I've tried shortening the file name, omitting the extension, omitting the quotes, loading the .ogg file with the user.ini, creating a .pk3 by means of a batch file per http://zdoom.org/wiki/Tips_for_using_ZIPs_as_WAD_replacement, and I've tried loading these .zips and .pk3s by drag-n-drop, command line -file, and user.ini but get the same mapinfo line4 error. This is the only file I'm loading. Does a mapinfo inside a zip need the path to the 'music' folder? What would it look like? Does the mapinfo need compiled? Some dumb little thing I've missed here?

bytor said:

I've tried shortening the file name

Shortening it how much? 8letters.ext format?

Also, is that the entirety of you MAPINFO?

Yes eight digits with and without extension. I think I read that zdoom strips it down anyways? The rest of the mapinfo is more of the same...
map Map03
{
music = "<my.oggfilehere>"
}
etc...
It's not getting past line four.

Well, the reason your MAPINFO does not parse is that you're missing the map name (not lump name). E.g., map MAP01 "Blah" { music = "blah" }.

Nevertheless, you should get rid of the new format entirely. Rename, for example, perkristian_doom2-map02.ogg into d_stalks.ogg. See this for the file names.

Why getting rid of MAPINFO altogether? Because definition content is not cumulative. With just the music property, your map has no next map (so the exit will just loop back on itself), has no sky, etc.

Even if I don't want to change the map name? Could I put the default name? Ahhh..."not cumulative". So any 'mapinfo' eliminates all defaults? But yeah it's lookin' like I'm just gonna rename the damn things. Bytor's first attempt at "Using ZIPS as WAD replacement" = fail!

Gez said:

Why getting rid of MAPINFO altogether?

(in projects as small as this)?

If you use MAPINFO you have to respecify everything from the previous definition because it does not get copied over. So you either rename your music or copy the relevant parts from the original MAP02 definition.

Gez...Graf Zahl...Thank you so much. I didn't realise mapinfo wasn't cumulative. Does everything in the zip have to be 'defined' (sndinfo, decorate, etc...) and does it have to be defined from within the zip itself? Well..I'm thinkin' "no" but I'm still unclear after reading the Wiki on whether or not a path is only required for music NOT in the music directory. If I have a wad with a mapinfo and I have music files in a zip, does the mapinfo need the path? I suppose I would include the wad in the zip but...? But as long as a resource is in it's proper directory no path is needed? Including music? I'm confused by this;
"Any file not in one of the reserved directories is not added to the WAD directory and can only be used by code that looks for full path names. Currently that is only the music code but it will be gradually extended so that everything that references a lump name can do it."