Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Clonehunter

Monster End Level

Alright, so I've noticed that in certain levels, Killing things will make triggers actiavate. Examples are Spiderdemon in Doom, killing it ends level, no switch required; Commander Keens in Grosse activate floor raiseing (Tag as 666 though... So, I know that.); Ummm, killing the Mancubus and Arachnotrons in Dead Simple rais the platform needed for the exit button, and so on.

So, for two or three of levels that I'm using for some type of megawad (:P) where mainly kill nazis for the first two chapters, I want to know how to make it so that when you kill the two big main bosses in thier levels, (Ths would be Mech Hitler and Chaingun Hitler) I want to know how to make it so that when they are killed, the level just ends. (Another example would be Icon of Sin). SO any help on how to do this?

Answers to these kinds of questions are generally already answered. Please make use of search functions to find them out, before asking for a tutorial on what is already a well-documented feature. Also please make use of the doom wiki and the zdoom wiki, whose purpose is to collect information about the games.

http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/Boss

If you scroll down you will find this paragraph:

In most of the levels above, defeating the boss monster(s) causes the level to end. In E1M8: Phobos Anomaly (Doom), however, killing all the barons lowers all walls with tag 666. In E4M6: Against Thee Wickedly, killing the cyberdemon causes a metal grate (four columns with tag 666) to blaze open, providing access to the exit switch.

The same function (A_BossDeath in p_enemy.c) is used in MAP07 of Doom II-based games to lower floors with tag 666 when all mancubi have been killed, and to raise floors with tag 667 when all arachnotrons have been killed. Similarly, in MAP32 (but using a different function), killing all the Commander Keens causes doors with tag 666 to open. Thus, these monsters can be considered bosses in the levels for which they play a special role.

Now, if you are using vanilla Doom, the behavior is hard-coded into the game. So, in Doom2, you could replace the Mancubus with Mech Hitler and the Arachnotron with Chaingun Hitler, and then use them ON MAP07 ONLY. I'm pretty sure it's not possible to have a similar effect on any other level - also, it's not possible to have an immediately ending level on any map except map30 using the icon of sin (which could also be replaced). If you were using Doom1, then you can use the episode endings - E1M8 lowers tag666 sectors when all barons are killed - E2M8 ends the level when all cyberdemons are killed - and E3M8 ends the level when all spider masterminds are killed. As said above E4M8 the death of all cyberdemons opens a grate with tag 666, I assume it means lowering the floors like in E1M8

If you are using Zdoom or anything with ACS support, you can do it any way you choose...however being an inexperienced mapper perhaps you should try the built in method first :D. Unfortunately it seems that it would work best for you with Doom1 because Doom2 only has these special functions on Map07, Map30, and Map32

magicsofa said:

As said above E4M8 the death of all cyberdemons opens a grate with tag 666

E4M6, actually. Yes, 6. And no, it's not floor lower like E1M8, it's door blaze open. The ceiling raises quickly.
http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/Tag_666 -- more details here.

magicsofa said:

If you are using Zdoom or anything with ACS support, you can do it any way you choose...

This thread (it's on the Skulltag forums but can be applied to ZDoom or GZDoom just as well, maybe even Vavoom) should contain all the info.

I used a Dehacked trick in MAP06 of the WAD linked in my signature to end the level when a Cyberdemon is killed, which worked in vanilla and will work on any Doom 2 level.

I can't remember exactly how I did it but if you open up the dehacked patch you could replicate it. Something to do with using the Romero head's codepointer in the death frame of the Cyb (or whatever boss you're using).

In my version the cyberdemon turns into the Romero head for the last frame, which looks kind of amatuerish but that can easily be worked around by changing the Romero head sprites.

Interesting...I guess the icon of sin pointer is of course different than the hard-coded effects in Doom1

Didn't realize that Gez, thanks for noting it

The Keen and Icon effects work on any level (not just 32 and 30 respectively) and can be transferred to other objects using Dehacked. This works in the original exe and with any port with adequate dehacked support.

Just note that the Keen effect requires all Keens to be dead at the same time, while the Icon effect needs only one of them to be killed. And note also that this applies across the whole wad, so if you transfer the Icon codepointer to another monster, then killing that monsters in any level will cause the level to end.

Regarding the Icon, note that the level 30 set-up includes three objects: the Boss Brain (Romero head), Boss Shooter (invisible) and spawn spots. The Boss Brain is the one that has the "end level when dead" effect. It also causes an explosion that can kill the player if he gets too close to it.

link

Well, wile I use ZDoom for testing, the maps I make for just plain ol Doom (2). And if those are my only options, rplaing those enmies and thse levels, well...

I think I've found ways to work around these limitations though for now. I'll see how they play out.

Clonehunter said:

Well, wile I use ZDoom for testing, the maps I make for just plain ol Doom (2). And if those are my only options, rplaing those enmies and thse levels, well...

I think I've found ways to work around these limitations though for now. I'll see how they play out.

1. Fix your keyboard

2. Test with vanilla doom if you're mapping for vanilla doom (at least, at the end, which is what I generally do)

3. As we have discussed, the BossBrain codepointer can be used with any monster. So...problem solved right. Same with Keen

4. You could also have your boss drop a key, although that would mean you can't use that key elsewhere in the level