• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Doom Marine

Anyone got SLumpEd

Most recent build of Slade3 can be found here:
http://svn.drdteam.org/slade/

The last version of Slumped will also available be there as long as slumped.mancubus.net is down.

@Printz: there are good reasons to keep using slumped until Slade3 is out of beta. Slumped still has some features that are not found in Slade3 yet, for a start.

I'm trying to find a lmp editor that knows violet (or whatever that purplish color is) means translucent, and I can't figure out WXE. my version of slumped doesn't do it. Does Slade3 parchance?

If you want a WAD editing tool that lets you remap both the index number translated to "translucent" and what color to use there when exporting the graphic, you have Deepsea. Its shareware has full resource-editing capabilities.

Notwithstanding its somewhat clumsy interface, I use it for importing and exporting graphics because I like to use 255 as "translucent", as it's not used in the regular DOOM and DOOM II resources and makes a better background than the garish cyan used by most tools, which also overwrites some (dark-blue range) black pixels in the original resources.

I am pretty sure the id Software guys used this color (255) as the background when exporting and importing, which explains why it wasn't used in the graphics, that it's the only color that isn't part of a range of colors, and why it's found at the end of the palette.

NaturalTvventy said:

I'm trying to find a lmp editor that knows violet (or whatever that purplish color is) means translucent, and I can't figure out WXE. my version of slumped doesn't do it. Does Slade3 parchance?

Yes and no.

SLADE3 is intelligently coded, instead of enforcing dumb decisions like "you can't use cyan or magenta ever in a picture, even if you want to, because the software will always assume it's transparent".

Cyan does not mean transparent. Magenta does not mean transparent. Purple does not mean transparent, teal does not mean transparent, yellow does not mean transparent, taupe does not mean transparent, puce does not mean transparent. Whatever color you take, it does not mean transparent. The only thing that means transparent is, surprisingly enough, transparent.

But that aside, if you want a color index to be changed to transparency, it is possible with SLADE3. You just need to convert it. In the graphic conversion window, you will see a radio button to make a color transparent, complete with a palette chooser to choose which color gets to be made transparent.

myk said:

than the garish cyan used by most tools, which also overwrites some (dark-blue range) black pixels in the original resources.

If you mean index 247, it's actually pure black (#000000) in the Doom palette, making it a redundant color with index 0. (Pure white (#FFFFFF) is also redundant with indices 4 and 168.)

myk said:

I am pretty sure the id Software guys used this color (255) as the background when exporting and importing, which explains why it wasn't used in the graphics, that it's the only color that isn't part of a range of colors, and why it's found at the end of the palette.

Index 255 is the transparent color in an early graphic format used in Doom alpha 0.2.