Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TheMisterCat

UPDATED EDITING.WAD - Save time on texture rotations/scaling/panning

I've made a nifty little tool that allows users to pan, rotate and scale sector textures in-game, bypassing the hassle of making guesses and testing to judge your accuracy.

This works with zdoom/gzdoom/skulltag

Simply add this pwad as an extension when mapping, tag the sectors you want to modify, and run a test. IDKFA and use the guns (slots 2, 3, 4) to make modifications. There is a bind to switch 'modes' (Rotate 1 or 15 units, Pan X/Y, Scale by Int or Frac)
LMB will add a value, RMB will take one.

There is a seperate bind that logs all changes to a text file in the directory the WAD is placed in. It logs the actual commands required to set the sector, so you can open it and copy&paste to your wad scripts (or if using UDMF, manually enter the values)

v4 Updates:
Removed all other unnecessary weapons
More accurate, invisible projectiles.
An 'unlogged changes' message displays if changes have not been logged
Mode display in lower left corner
Automatically sets the user to noclip/fly/notarget

v5 Updates:
Scaling can now be done by axes - both, X or Y, in both int or frac

Download: http://www.wadhost.fathax.com/files/editing5.zip

This is an extremely useful tool. I have tried it out and it works flawlessly. Very handy text (log) file too, which puts the changes into an appropriately formatted special.

I know you mentioned that there is a bind key, but you might want to mention to your users that they must use the appropriately bound key *before* they make the changes. [Default is keyboard L.]

Incidentally, there's an error message:

Tried to register class "PanningGun" more than once. I renamed the second actor to PanningGun1 and the error message disappeared. The mod appears to work either way, however.

Oh, that's odd, I didn't notice the panninggun register error.

I'm not sure what you mean about the log key. Pressing it activates an alias which starts the logfile then pukes a script which uses the 'log' command in a for loop, running through sector tags 0-255, checking if any of their results aren't 0, then logging the appropriate command.. hence you can only use it AFTER you have made your changes.

TheMisterCat said:

.. hence you can only use it AFTER you have made your changes.

That's odd. I'm sure you're correct, but I could have sworn that I used the bind key *before*.

[EDIT: I just tried it AFTER, and it worked as intended. My mistake.]

One minor issue. When scaling in INT mode, the first time you apply the scale using either left or right mouse buttons, the sector scales all the way back to "minimum" instead of scaling incrementally. Is this intended behavior?

unfortunately there's no real way for me to initially check the scaling of a sector. it works with int arrays which are initialised at 0, so yes, it starts there. I suppose I could make the scaleint arrays start at 1?

Another thing to note is that the way the script determines whether you are trying to effect a ceiling or floor is based on player pitch, so you can't aim at a ceiling lower than you ( a slope ) or a floor higher than you. You'll have to walk under until your pitch is above center (or below for a floor)

TheMisterCat said:

I suppose I could make the scaleint arrays start at 1?

Once the user knows what's happening the rest falls into place, even when the initial value is 0. Starting with a value 1 would also require the user to know that further action is required (i.e., when the player uses the scale action for the first time and doesn't notice any change, the user will need to realize that the action needs to be repeated in order to effect a change). In that sense, init value = 0 may be better because it shows the user that something has changed.

Another thing to note is that the way the script determines whether you are trying to effect a ceiling or floor is based on player pitch, so you can't aim at a ceiling lower than you ( a slope ) or a floor higher than you. You'll have to walk under until your pitch is above center (or below for a floor)

Yes, that part is necessary (but intuitive).

I noticed that you had not posted about this tool elsewhere, so I took the liberty of posting about it on the
[Removed link to ZDooM forums]
DRDTeam forums.

[Edit: I was informed on ZDooM that you had, indeed, posted there. I've removed the link to ZDooM in this post.]

Thanks to CodeImp for making this tool obsolete, as the latest DB2 betas allow for panning/scaling/rotation viewed in the editor, at least for UDMF.

Which makes this tool pretty much only useful for Doom in Hexen mode, which is slowly becoming obsolete as well.

I stole your ideas! Just like I stole all Deepsea's unique ideas!

Actually, this was planned already some time when I started working on DB2 (over 3 years ago). It has been on he list of planned features on my forum for all to see ever since I can remember having that forum.

Sorry man, but it is bound to happen that editing features show up in my editor. Even if they already exist in someplace else.

No need for bitterness. It was a handy tool in the meantime. :)

And it is still useful for the people who want to stick to Zeth, WadAuthor, SLADE 1/2, Yadex, DeePsea or any other UDMF-less editor.

I tried to use the tool to pan along the Y-axis, and I couldn't figure out how to do it. Also, my right mouse button seems to be using my GZDooM configurations and is over-riding the RMB controls of the tool (i.e., I'm jumping instead of de-incrementing the values).

[EDIT: I answered my own question regarding the RMB. I looked at your ACS and realized that the tool assumes RMB is assigned to alt-fire. That works for me now, but I still can't figure out the Y-axis thing.]

@Rex:

I don't have it handy on this computer to check, but I'm pretty sure if you check the key bindings page, you'll find an option for EDITING.WAD that's some sort of mode-switch. Bind that to a key of your liking, and press it to switch between modes (i.e. x alignment and y alignment, in your case).

esselfortium said:

.... if you check the key bindings page, you'll find an option for EDITING.WAD that's some sort of mode-switch.

Yes, that worked nicely. Thanks Essel.

For those that may face this issue, the default binding key for switching modes fro x- to y-axis is 'E'.