Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Fritz442

Obhack 007.1 Released (Random Map Generator)

Same with the raised cages -- occasionally I come across a baby spider that's stuck (can't turn around or fire), because he's in a cage that's too small.

Might it be possible for a really crazy monster count setting similar to the V4 test version's "Nuts!" setting, but not as packed but higher count than Swarms?

Absolutely Mr.Chris we can, although I haven't seen the 'nuts' setting in v4.
I've added a 'Infested' setting to v007.2, to test out.

I like the "Infested" idea -- more than "Swarms" but not as heavy-duty as "Insane". Sometimes a person just wants to mow 'em down. <g>

I have sometimes wished for just a couple more Cybes and big spiders in the really big maps, but not to the level of "Insane" (fun occasionally but not what I want for everyday).

I tellya tho, it sure does a good job of putting cybes and viles where they can best surprise you!!

This is what the Oblige 4.06 WIP "Nuts!" setting looks like. I am using the Nuts!-Crazy combination, which is why there are high level monsters already.

http://img862.imageshack.us/i/nuts01doom.jpg/
http://img860.imageshack.us/i/nuts02doom.jpg/
http://img689.imageshack.us/i/nuts03doom.jpg/
http://img694.imageshack.us/i/nuts04doom.jpg/

I'll look forward to checking out the "Infested" setting for the next version!

Another thing, do we have traps that open up when getting to a powerful or important item (Plasma gun, BFG, key, proximity to a switch) ?

PS: Enclosures look kinda silly outside, they are better if they are a turbo floor lower (floor lower to 8 above highest floor) instead of turbo door open stay.

Secrets should not be more than 2 rooms and should not have monsters. Generally they should be littered with health and armor bonuses atop more than usual ammo/weapons in it.

I apologize if this has already been answered (love Obhack), but is it possible to use OBhack in conjunction with a PWAD? For example, if I wanted to generate an Obhack wad for the Absolution Doom 2 mod?

Job said:

I apologize if this has already been answered (love Obhack), but is it possible to use OBhack in conjunction with a PWAD? For example, if I wanted to generate an Obhack wad for the Absolution Doom 2 mod?

If you made the chance for the monsters unavailable in it to zero and made themes with the Absolution textures and flats available, yes. Editing x_doom1.lua and x_doom2.lua is what you need to do to do that, just use any text editor for that.

Mr. Chris said:

If you made the chance for the monsters unavailable in it to zero and made themes with the Absolution textures and flats available, yes.

Good to know. However, I lack the skill to accomplish this : /

Secrets no more than two rooms? NOOOOO! I *like* the fact that some of them are very involved, almost a whole mini-map. Which makes more opportunity for one of my favourite features, where a secret twists around and has balconies or overlooks intersecting with the main map. If secrets maxed at only two rooms, you couldn't have that.

In fact I think there should sometimes be secrets in the secrets, an old DOOM tradition. :)

Sometimes a secret or a quest winds up with little or no reward (once in a while a quest has NOTHING in it!) but I think that's okay, as another of the original DOOM traditions is "You fought your way to the bowels of hell, and THIS is your fat reward??" just like the end text says.

The only worry about having elaborate secrets is hoping the generator wouldn't accidentally put required things somewhere in those sectors beyond the secret entrance. That would be a nuisance.

Megamur said:

The only worry about having elaborate secrets is hoping the generator wouldn't accidentally put required things somewhere in those sectors beyond the secret entrance. That would be a nuisance.

I've played hundreds of Obhack maps, and not once have I seen it make this mistake.

There should be fewer or no monsters in a secret area, maybe an option to turn the monster option in there perhaps?

One should be rewarded with a fair amount of health and ammo in the final room, including armor/health bonuses so it makes it worth if you are a Max-Kill person like me who needs every bullet and shell since I'm using BrutalDoom with the levels.

I'd say make monsterless secrets an option, but definitely NOT the default. The fact that I often get seriously ambushed inside a secret -- I like that, and it's a good old DOOM tradition. And that I often have to ration and scrounge supplies at the end, so I don't go naked into the next map -- I like that old tradition too; otherwise I might as well turn on infinite ammo, or use the IDFA cheat at the start of each map.

The reason SLIGE had a "no monsters in secrets" option was because the secrets were such a pain to tromp back and forth and find 'em all, and it could be a day's hike from one end of a big map to the other. So getting 100% kills could be tedious. Not so with Obhack maps.