Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JohnTuttle

Doom Builder 2 / Doom 64 Editing

Hello, my name is John. I'll get to the point.

A friend and I have been using the latest DB2 to build our own maps, using Zdoom (Doom in Hexen Format). This is all good fun and no problems we couldn't solve ourselves have come up. However, we decided we wanted to make maps in the Doom 64 style instead. I set out to do some research on how this could be achieved. So far, the majority of my findings lead back to Absolution and the D64_Builder.cfg that comes with it. Since I'm using the latest Doom Builder, I have found out that this is a reason an error occurs when starting up DB2. (Unable to load the game configuration file "D64_Builder.cfg". Error in file "C:/Program Files/Doom Builder 2\Configurations\D64_Builder.cfg" near line 658: Invalid assignment. Missing a previous terminator symbol?) I can load the Absolution wad and get the textures though obviously some are out of order or not there (monsters/weapons). I can't seem to find any up-to-date information on a D64 config or building D64 style maps in Doom Builder 2 (or in other editors for that matter).

So my question is simply... Is there any way to build Doom 64 style maps or are people just not as interested in it as I would think they would be? Any other information about this posts subject matter would also be appreciated. I want to get to some mapping! Thanks in advance!

-John

First, the Absolution TC was made long before DB2 was released. The configuration would be for DB1 I guess. Not the same format and not the same info, so configuration files from DB1 cannot be used in DB2.

Secondly, Doom 64 uses a completely different map format, which is not the same as the Doom format, the Hexen format or UDMF, so you can't edit maps for it with any editor. (This concerns the actual Doom 64, not the Absolution TC.)

Finally, there is a special version of Doom Builder 2 that can edit maps in the format used by the Doom64 Ex port. It's not easy to find it, though, since it was never officially released and isn't yet officially supported, but you can find it if you're looking for it.

Kaiser posted download links for Builder64 here, the dropbox links are still functioning and someone might upload the old release elsewhere if asked nicely.

GreyGhost said:

Kaiser posted download links for Builder64 here, the dropbox links are still functioning and someone might upload the old release elsewhere if asked nicely.

So I followed your link to the post by Kaiser:

Kaiser said:

Old Doom Builder 64: http://www.speedyshare.com/files/25015673/Builder64_Old.7z

New Doom Builder 64
SRC: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/18609/Builder64_src.7z
Binaries: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/18609/Builder64.zip

Note that the new builder64 is up on Codeimp's SVN

I downloaded the SRC and the Binaries links. I don't know why/if I need the Builder64_src because it seems to me that it's just the version of DB that was hacked and modded to support D64. Likewise, even though the link is now dead, I don't know why I would need the old Doom Builder 64. However the binaries link does work and is Doom Builder 64 obviously! So I am on the correct path it seems. I also have Doom64EX which includes among its files some information on using DBuilder64.

* Setting up Doom Builder (aka Builder64)

* Unzip Builder64 into directory of choice
* Edit Doom64.cfg and define the path for "texturedirectory" in order for the editor to load up the .png textures.
* Example: texturedirectory = "E:\\sources\\Doom Builder\\Dev\\Textures";
* Make sure to use double backslashes instead of using one backslash.
* For the IWAD, set "Builder.wad" as the main iwad which only contains the playpal data in order to properly view the textures.
* Sprite support is not yet implemented due to the large number of sprites to incorporate into the editor.
* Please use the included glbsp executable for node building only which has been customized to support the doom64 map format.

A few problems I'm having right here. There are two different Doom64.cfg files and neither of them seem to contain 'texturedirectory' when I use notepads find next command. Not only that but I don't have any sources\\Doom Builder\\Dev\\Textures folders or files that came with the downloads. I'm also not sure if I'm supposed to have actually png files or something else. To get around this, and get Doom64 resources into the editor, I have been using my DOOM64.wad (which I made using WadGen). I'm not sure if that is the best idea. I'm using it as my IWAD, not only because I can't get the resources the other way, but because I also seem to be missing the file Builder.wad. I'm not sure how important that may or may not be. All the resources seem to be there. I'm not sure if it's causing any significant problems though. I can load up maps (such as Kaiser_24.wad included with Doom64EX) but nothing is textured. I can't playtest anything. I don't know what to use. I've tried many executables from ones I thought would have a chance, to those I knew wouldn't.. Some have tried but had errors, others did nothing. I fear I may be missing yet another file (glbsp? Also not included).

I tried for awhile browsing and searching these forums for posts related to Doom64EX and/or Builder64 as well as posts from Kaiser. The thread linked seemed the most relevant, but still no more helpful than it has already been. I know map making Doom64 style is possible, however non user friendly it is at the moment. I don't care about user friendliness much, I can generally figure things out with some reading and tips. Am I doomed (heh)? Can anyone offer me some more help in getting this set up? Or, if not, are there other options for making my own Doom64 maps? As usually, thank you in advance. I hope I don't sound like I'm just asking for answers without any real effort on my own part. I assure you, not the case! I think I may just be looking in the wrong direction or something.

Gez said:

Finally, there is a special version of Doom Builder 2 that can edit maps in the format used by the Doom64 Ex port. It's not easy to find it, though, since it was never officially released and isn't yet officially supported, but you can find it if you're looking for it.

Would that just be a BD2 version of Builder64 or something altogether different? If anyone has this or knows where to get it, please let me know! Making DoomII maps is fun, but the textures and lighting of D64 is awesome.

-John

Gez said:

The source is in the DB2 SVN repository:

https://doombuilder.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/doombuilder/branches/Builder64/