Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Creaphis

Question about sector effect changing in vanilla

So, vanilla Doom has all of these floor-moving texture-changing linedef actions. How most of them seem to work is that if the moving floor has an effect, and the reference sector doesn't, the moving sector will lose its effect. However, I want the moving sector to gain the effect of the reference sector. Do any of the linedef actions work this way?

I've only tested a few texture-changing linedef actions so far, but what I'm seeing is that while they remove effects (eg. a damaging sector will lose its special effect when its texture changes) they don't set effects (eg. a sector of type 0 won't take on the special effect of the reference sector). Am I doing something wrong? Are there any pwads with effect-transferring that I could reference?

Creaphis said:

I've only tested a few texture-changing linedef actions so far, but what I'm seeing is that while they remove effects (eg. a damaging sector will lose its special effect when its texture changes) they don't set effects (eg. a sector of type 0 won't take on the special effect of the reference sector). Am I doing something wrong? Are there any pwads with effect-transferring that I could reference?

Heretic E2M2. The platforms in the beginning room are lower-and-change. When they hit the lava, they will adapt a nukage sector type.

A thought just occurred to me. All the linedef types I tested were floor-raisers. Maybe it's only the floor-lowering actions that add effects to sectors, because Doom's programmers assumed that the only time that a mapper would ever want to add an effect to a sector was if that sector would drop down into a pit of nukage.

In E2M2, you can observe this behavior with the raising platforms in front of the yellow key. See what happens, when you trigger them out of order? I'm sure, every one accidentally did this once in a while. They copy the effect and texture from the sector the trigger sidedef belongs to.

Okay guys, you all win. Texture changing actions change effects as well. When testing this earlier I somehow managed to pick the one texture-changing action that doesn't change effects (action 15: "S1 Floor Raise by 24 (changes texture)" in DB2) which left me thoroughly confused. Thanks for the help!