Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SonicIce

Can you scale floor/ceil hights by percent?

I want to shrink part of a map. I can scale sector size by percent in Doom Builder, but it doesn't affect heights so I end up with it looking too tall.

I too would truly love a feature like this. Perhaps it could be done with a plugin?

I'd like something like that in Doom Builder, as well. A lot. I've always wanted a feature where you could adjust the floor/ceiling height in multiple sectors at once just by inputting plus or minus the amount of units you want. For example, you select several sectors and just do "floor height +16" and they all move up sixteen units, instead of manually having to set a new value for each individual sector that's 16 units greater than before. So if you have one sector with a floor height of 0, and another with a floor height of 16, after selecting them both and performing the operation, they'd have heights of 16 and 32, respectively.

Megamur, that's existed since Doom Builder 1. Select the sectors and type ++16 or --16 into their floor or ceiling height box, in the edit sector dialog. It's usable in some other number-taking fields, too, like light levels and tags. Unfortunately it's not usable in UDMF custom fields the last I checked, though, and there's no ** or // operators for multiplying or dividing.

I couldn't tell you how much time I've saved by using ++/-- for making various adjustments. Before I learned about it, making relative adjustments could sometimes be very time consuming. I kinda wish I learned about it sooner than I did :P

Indeed, I've been using Doom Builder on and off since its first release, and I only learned that you could use the addition and subtraction modifiers a couple of months ago. I'm not sure if the feature is listed in the documentation or anything, but if not, it certainly should be. Huge timesaver, that.

I'd like to know what ++ -- in those fields do because I'm completely lost! What I do know in 3d mode if you select the floor or ceiling, hold shift and scroll the middle mouse button it will move the height variants in smaller increments. Is this kind of the general idea or not?

It hasn't got anything to do with the size of the increments, but with changing the properties of multiple sectors at once, all by the same amount.

Without using ++/--, in 2D mode, you can select multiple sectors, and change their ceiling (for example) to whatever you type into the field. They will then all be set to the same ceiling height.

But if the sectors that you selected are all of different ceiling heights (ie. an archway at +128, a door at -8, and the rest of the ceiling at +80), entering a single value for them all is useless, and to raise all the ceilings by 8 units, you'd have to change each sector on its own.

Instead, you could select all of them at once, and enter '++8' into the ceiling height field. This would increase each sector's height by 8, rather than set it to 8. (So the numbers in the previous paragraph would become +136, 0, and +88.)

This is also useful for intricate stair designs that need to be shifted up or down. You can get the same basic effect in visual mode by selecting multiple sectors and raising/lowering them with the mouse wheel all at once.

I still wouldn't mind a percentage-based method for resizing sector heights, but I can do the mental math easily enough that it's not a problem. Just one more thing to keep track of alongside the aspect ratio and light diminishing. :P

what i wanted to do was make a tiny little model of map01 or e1m1 and put it in a display case in my map. i can scale the floor area by a percent but not the heights...

SonicIce said:

what i wanted to do was make a tiny little model of map01 or e1m1 and put it in a display case in my map. i can scale the floor area by a percent but not the heights...

Whoa! That would be sick!

@Mithran, great explanation! I will have to mess around with that technique to get accustomed to using it.

SonicIce said:

Wow, that's a pretty cool idea. 8)

The textures would be all messed up, though.

SonicIce said:

what i wanted to do was make a tiny little model of map01 or e1m1 and put it in a display case in my map.

I always wanted to do that, but then I worried the nodebuilder would freak out from all the tiny details and there'd be slime trails everywhere. That, or fretting over having to make a bunch of tiny textures and flats to go with it.

Say you have a blocky doom 'Stalactite' hanging from the ceiling made of concentric circles.

16 (largest outer circle)
8 (the rest of the concentric circles...)
-24 (smallest innermost concentric circle)

-88 (floor)

Scaling seems like a trivial operation, just divide (or multiply) by X, in this case dividing by 4 to make all 1/4th as big:

However maybe it would be useful to scale ceilings only, or floors only (e.g. since its a stalactite, maybe you wanted to keep the floor at -88 and only change the ceiling). You could quickly pump out multiple slight variations of stalactites by combining this height scaling with normal size scaling. Sometimes when dividing you'd end up with decimals which could just be rounded off to whole numbers if necessary I guess (the user would probably typically use heights that are multiples of 8 and thus cleanly divisible by 8/4/2 anyway).

But yeah, if scaling doom2 map 1 to 1/8 the size or something, you'd probably need that part to have 1/8 size textures too. Some homogenous looking textures would probably look fine regardless of the scale.

Even though it seems like a trivial operation, figuring out all the little steps and things that need to be known to make a doombuilder plugin is probably for genius hackers, someone with lots of spare time to dedicate to it, or someone who already made a plugin so is already familiar with all the tiny hurdles. I wouldn't know which language to use (I think its c#.. or perhaps you could somehow make a plugin using any language like python etc) or likely how to speak that language, which code editor to use or how to save it as an appropriate file, how to feed the plugin to doombuilder, etc.

Mechadon said:

I couldn't tell you how much time I've saved by using ++/-- for making various adjustments. Before I learned about it, making relative adjustments could sometimes be very time consuming. I kinda wish I learned about it sooner than I did :P

I learned about this little trick I think around a year and a half ago.

And funnily enough I remember it was esselfortium who told me about it back then too. :)

Processingcontrol said:

The textures would be all messed up, though.

Yeah. I thought about it too, but then remembered that textures don't scale. Build's got us there...