Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
printz

Doom Builder feature wishlist

Doom Builder progress seems to be discontinued (EDIT: by looking at the svn.drdteam site, last release was in October 2010), so I'm posting this here, in hopes someone with GUI programming skill sees.

- fully flexible find/replace mode. Also move that command to Edit menu where it belongs, not Mode menu. By fully flexible I mean this: allow finding any option, not just the ones listed in the drop-down. For example, I'm currently unable to find Hexen/UDMF linedef args, or UDMF custom parameters, requiring me to open the TEXTMAP instead in SLADE3 and find it like that. Also make the dialog modeless.

- fix the UDMF texture scrolling. Currently, some commands affect the local texture offsets, while others change the global (vanilla) offsets.

- in GZDoom visual mode, fix the displaying of 3d floor texture offsets. Currently, they're unaffected by the source sector wall offset, but in-game they are.

- the Game Preferences have an option to edit the texture categories. Currently it's very clunky. You can only use a wildcard-compatible text entry to select the textures. No possibility to simply do something like multiselecting textures and dragging them into a list or clicking a "move >>" button.

At the moment, ZDoom's TEXTURES lump isn't fully supported in visual mode, and that's what I'm looking forward to the most - will make mapping for this project far less of a guessing game. (The textures' colors are generated via translations in TEXTURES.)

I'd like to see a wizard for Doomsdays XG. Support for any element of Doomsday really.

I'd like to see a lump editor integrated in there. I know SLADE is doing this, but hey, it'd still be nice.

I'd also like to see slopes in visual mode.

How about dehacked support?

I lost track of how many time shown errors were simply the result of not being able to load dehacked files as a resource.

What about changing ceiling/floor offsets and scale in 3d mode?

Processingcontrol said:

What about changing ceiling/floor offsets and scale in 3d mode?

That's a fault on Doom's side actually.

Huh? What's that supposed to mean?

With ZDoom UDMF maps, you can offset, rotate, and scale flats, and the transformations show up visually under the 2D editing modes; the 3D mode doesn't take them into account, though.*

Also, you can edit these custom properties in the 3D mode. You just can't see their effect without checking in the 2D mode or in the game itself. I can't say how much effort it would take to display the changes in the 3D mode, since I haven't looked at much of the code (yuck- .NET), but I assume it's fairly trivial, and it'd be fairly helpful. Ditto for supporting TEXTURES translations, which Jimmy already mentioned, and which would be useful for a project that I'm working on as well.

*(I'm not 100% sure if any of this has to do with the plugins that I'm using, as it was a while since I used DB2 'out of the box'.)

TheUltimateDoomer said:

Texture copy/paste in 3d mode, like in DB 1.

Just go to preferences and edit controls. Set copy/paste to what ever controls you like :)

Marnetmar said:

That's a fault on Doom's side actually.

I meant in UDMF, where this is possible.

@Mithran Denizen:

To change offsets you have to open the menus, I think it would be better if you could just use the arrows keys the same way as walls.

I'm not sure if this is a feature in DB2, as I've never used it, but it doesn't seem to be a feature in DB1: I'd love if there was a view mode that let you see Things in the level based on the skill setting. You know, set it to "skill 3 Things view" and you'd only see Things that show up on skill 3. I think this would be very, very helpful for tweaking difficulty settings.

You can already filter things by difficulty (as well as by some other properties) in Doom Builder 2. Moreso, you can do this with DB1 as well; via either the Things -> Filter Things... menu command, or the funnel-shaped icon at the end of the toolbar when in 'things mode'.

I'm not satisfied with visual editing mode yet. You should be able to play a map in Doom Builder itself, and then record clips that you can play in reverse and slow motion.

Sigvatr said:

I'm not satisfied with visual editing mode yet. You should be able to play a map in Doom Builder itself, and then record clips that you can play in reverse and slow motion.

I don't think that will happen because DB would probably have to integrate all of the source ports used for mapping(if allowed by the developers of the source port) which would be really annoying just to allow someone to play the map within the application itself.

Recording clips/reverse/slow motion? Being able to make video clips in a MAP EDITOR is a bit strange don't you think. It seems as though you would like a very versatile Doom application.

tomthecrazzy said:

custom sprite editor all in one....... nuff said.

And what the hell does sprite editing have anything to do with map editing? There's dedicated image editing software for that, you know.

Anyway, this is news to me, I had no idea DB stopped development. I just hope Slade3's map editor gets finished.

One minor thing: the sky flat should be in the "Outside" group by default. The sky not counting as outside is just silly.

Sigvatr said:

That's not enough!

I want to be able to take clips and rearrange them into a Doom movie with bad-ass special effects like fire and explosions.

Mithran Denizen said:

Huh? What's that supposed to mean?

With ZDoom UDMF maps, you can offset, rotate, and scale flats, and the transformations show up visually under the 2D editing modes; the 3D mode doesn't take them into account, though.*

My whole life changed.

No more having to map around the default flat offset.

And I agree with Marnetmar; while SLADE is good and all, a built-in lump editor would be great.

Nimdok said:

My whole life changed.

No more having to map around the default flat offset.

And I agree with Marnetmar; while SLADE is good and all, a built-in lump editor would be great.

It's going to be the other way round: SLADE will get a built-in map editor.

Sorry to bump this thread after nearly a month, but I've recently switched over to the latest version of Doom Builder 2 from the SVN website and I'm having problems aligning any textures at all in GZDoom Visual Mode, whereas in regular Visual Mode it works fine. What happens is strange: In the GZDoom mode, the textures look as though they're aligning as I move them with my arrow keys, but at the bottom of the screen the offset values remain something like (-1, 0) or (1, 0) no matter what I do with the texture. So although I can see the textures moving, nothing is actually happening and in-game they appear as though they had before I'd even started shifting them around.

Is this a known issue and/or does anyone know how to fix this if it is fixable? As a result of this problem I've mapped the regular Visual Mode to a separate key so that I can switch between the two when I need to change the offsets, but this isn't satisfactory for me. I want to be able to change them in GZDoom's Visual Mode!

Thanks for any help.

That plugin is unfinished and the texture aligning was not thoroughly tested. The idea is that the plugin uses the UDMF fields so it can align every part of the wall individually. If you're not working in UDMF format, forget about it.

Sorry about that CodeImp. I found the answer on your forums just about 15-20 or so minutes after my last post. I saw where you've already answered this several times, so I apologize for adding to the count. I'm just using an older version right now and the texture alignment works fine, so I'll continue to do that until something occurs that absolutely forces me to make the switch to UDMF format with the newer versions.

The features I'm missing the most, and which I do when editing/figuring out existing maps (usually with huge workarounds), are:

-finding a line that triggers a specific script (find type 80, then find "6" in the first parameter field to search for script 6).

-Finding something that triggers sectors with tag 68. Search results should not just be for example lines, but anything that can trigger a sector tag, including statements in ACS!

-Seeing sloped floors in 3D mode.

-Automatic detection of the type of map in the open dialog, so I never open a map saved in hexen format in doom format anymore (which makes DB2 hang for like a minute and then the map consists of thousands of intersecting huge lines)

-Quick preview of the map layout in the open dialog, so I don't have to use XWE or slade2 anymore when I want to find a specific map I played inside a megawad.

If you are looking for programmers to take over (part of) DB2, then I'll volunteer. I've been thinking a lot about making a wad editor, but the sheer lack of technical documentation of wad lumps makes it difficult. But somehow CodeImp, you've been able to figure it all out.

I'm currently working on other projects so I don't really have much time for Doom Builder at the moment. I consider the Doom Builder core quite stable and mostly done (of course you can always think of new features, hell you can even put a media player in DB... but would you want to?). Many of the wanted (and reasonable) features can in some sane manner be done with a plugin and therefor should be done in a plugin to keep the Doom Builder core clean. Any programmer can write a plugin without the need to release a custom build of the Doom Builder core. So there is currently no dire need for me to work Doom Builder right now.

That said, I do encourage anyone willing to program plugins or fix bugs in Doom Builder. For you Zom-B and any other programmers I will try to idle in the #doom-tech channel on the OFTC network starting today (I know I have been away for a while) so I can help anyone who has questions regarding the source. Boris also knows some of the code so he may also be able to help you. While Boris has write access to the Doom Builder repository, I cannot just grant anyone write access and let anyone commit code into official builds. When you think your code is done, put it in a zip file and email it to me for review. I will not add code that implements a media player in Doom Builder so save your precious time working on that.