Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
printz

Doom Builder feature wishlist

Lately I've been mapping a bit more than usual, and I encountered another speed bump. When I want to place lots of monsters, searching the for the monster I want in the thing browser is slow to say the least. The monsters are sorted by name, which are not even the usual DOOM2 names.

I made a temporary workaround by editing the definition file and editing the monster entries, by adding numbers in front of the names in the order I like. This way the monsters get sorted a little more logical in my opinion. It would be better if DB2 didn't sort entries at all and just respected the order in the definition file (or at least make an option).

It would be much better if it would be a graphical selector like the texture selector, so you can just click on the sprite of the thing you Want. It would certainly be better for decorations, because there are so many that I keep searching through them all, sometimes twice, just to find a single one. Because of this reason I rarely use decorations anymore.

Edit: changed item->thing

I do like Zom-b's idea, very much.

Another thing that occurred to me, that just so happens to be something that could be added on top of Zom-b's suggestion: When making texture selections, the first group of textures is always "used textures." It would be really good if any thing selection list would have at its start a "used thing" list, whether the thing selection method stays as it is now or changes to a graphical interface. I think it would speed up thing placement, as much as having the already used textures list speeds up texture selection.

Building again on KYKA's idea;
In the texture editor you can quickly type the name of the texture if you have a specific one in mind, but there is no viable equivalent in the thing browser. You can't expect us to start remembering the doomEd numbers (like 3004 means an Imp).

I've gathered stacks the two fatal bugs I mentioned before.

************** Exception Text **************
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at CodeImp.DoomBuilder.Rendering.Renderer2D.PlotLinedef(Linedef l, PixelColor c)
at CodeImp.DoomBuilder.BuilderModes.MakeSectorMode.DrawGeometry()
at CodeImp.DoomBuilder.BuilderModes.MakeSectorMode.OnRedrawDisplay()
at CodeImp.DoomBuilder.Windows.MainForm.RedrawDisplay()
at CodeImp.DoomBuilder.Editing.UndoManager.PerformUndo(Int32 levels, Boolean showmessage)
at CodeImp.DoomBuilder.Editing.UndoManager.PerformUndo()
at CodeImp.DoomBuilder.Actions.Action.Begin()
at CodeImp.DoomBuilder.Actions.ActionManager.BeginActionByKey(Int32 key, Boolean repeated)
at CodeImp.DoomBuilder.Actions.ActionManager.KeyPressed(Int32 key)
at CodeImp.DoomBuilder.Windows.MainForm.MainForm_KeyDown(Object sender, KeyEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnKeyDown(KeyEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ProcessKeyEventArgs(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ProcessKeyMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmKeyChar(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(Message& m)
at CodeImp.DoomBuilder.Windows.MainForm.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Exception Text **************
System.InvalidOperationException: Renderer starting called before finished previous layer. Call Finish() first!
at CodeImp.DoomBuilder.Rendering.Renderer2D.StartPlotter(Boolean clear)
at CodeImp.DoomBuilder.BuilderModes.MakeSectorMode.DrawGeometry()
at CodeImp.DoomBuilder.BuilderModes.MakeSectorMode.Highlight(Boolean buttonspressed)
at CodeImp.DoomBuilder.BuilderModes.MakeSectorMode.OnMouseMove(MouseEventArgs e)
at CodeImp.DoomBuilder.Windows.MainForm.display_MouseMove(Object sender, MouseEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnMouseMove(MouseEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseMove(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

What about a 'secondary grid' button to have as an optional replacement for holding shift while drawing, for example you could be working on a 32 unit grid then when an 8 unit grid is required, for quickness you can just hold shift

The only feature I want is the Yadex feature where you can select one linedef of a sector and then press e to select all the other linedefs in the sector instead of having to click many times to select every linedef in the whole sector. This would make editing complex architecture easier. If you could put this in somehow, it would make the map editing much more efficient.

neubejiita said:

The only feature I want is the Yadex feature where you can select one linedef of a sector and then press e to select all the other linedefs in the sector instead of having to click many times to select every linedef in the whole sector. This would make editing complex architecture easier. If you could put this in somehow, it would make the map editing much more efficient.

Press S to enter Sectors Mode, and click inside the sector to select it. Now press L to switch to Linedefs Mode, and all the lines of the sector are still selected!

But that will select a sector within that sector as well, that is not what I meant, I mean being able to select all linedefs making up a square or polygonal sector by selecting one line and pressing e and the rest of the linedefs in series are selected.

Zom-B said:

I often have crashes too. Mostly null-pointer access and "draw() called before finish()" (or something like that, function names might not be accurate). Both are fatal, as in, you can press the "continue" button but the crash dialog will just show again indefinitely.

I playtest often, and once I was able to recover a newer version than the saved wad by going through my user profile's temp directory.

This happens to me sometimes too, albeit rarely. In my case it usually happens when drawing stairs with the linedefs in a left-down-right-down-left-down style rather than drawing the complete square sectors for each stair.

neubejiita said:

The stair sector builder plugin has a feature like that, I guess. It can select just the outlines of the selected sector(s). It doesn't have a key bound by default, so you'll have to look into the key bindings to assign one.

gemini09 said:

I wouldn't mind an angle-ruler...

I was thinking the same thing today, I second that.

Marnetmar said:

I'd like to have an option in the curve linedefs feature to make each vertex conform to a grid size that you specify.

I second that, you ever noticed the amount of symmetrically perfect snapped-to-grid curving in the IWADs? I think they might of had some tool for it

I'd imagine that they just created such curves by snapping vertices to the grid by hand, it's not that hard. Unless I'm trying to get a precise circle or whatever, I find that it's usually faster to just do so manually, rather than using the curve dialog at all.

Speaking of curves, could there be an option to prevent vertical or horizontal lines from being part of the curve? Its annoying trying to change the curve yourself to prevent the texture lighting changes.

neubejiita said:

I was just thinking about something like this. In Blender, you can select one vertex, and then press 'ctrl' + '+', and it will select the adjacent vertices to that one, press again and it will select the adjacent to those ones, and so forth.

Also, (though I think it's a bit far fetched) making slopes on 3D mode with the touch of a button, like in the Build editor, would be a god send.

gemini09 said:

I wouldn't mind an angle-ruler...

Any chance of this happening? It would really be useful. I assume it's easy to implement, and although we're only two thus far that have requested it, I'm sure it's worth the time =)

^ Again, Slade.

Doom builder is a MAP editor, so it is only concerned with map-specific lumps. Any lump that is global to the wad file should be edited by slade. If Slade cannot do this (yet) then go ask in Slade's thread.

colBoh said:

The ability to save edits to the patch or textures lump while in texture editing mode.

What texture editing mode? You're not editing any texture in DB2.

DECORATE and MAPINFO are both text lumps, and a text editor has not failed to be included. :p

> Search feature finds all secret sectors (Sector effect = 9 is insufficient if Boom specials are used)

I'd like it if pasting a sector atop another sector just worked the way that drawing linedefs that intersect existing sectors just works in DB2.