Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TimeOfDeath

death exit in boom compatibility

How do you make a telefrag death exit in boom compatibility? When I telefrag a voodoo doll and icon of sin at the same time, I don't die.

I remember there was a thread a while ago and Grazza talked about telefragging in boom compat, but I can't find it.

There was something about needing to make the locations of the things very slightly different - close enough that it is still a telefrag, but not the same identical coordinates.

I've got an idea: How about if a countdown starts after the player crosses the line, then kills him at the end! Yay! Wait is that possible?

Thanks guys. I tried putting the teleport destination, voodoo doll and icon of sin in slightly different locations, but the voodoo doll still wouldn't get telefragged, but adding a barrel to another slightly different location worked.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1krxylYid-FXKa0fqx0672fe-eoLe0_qH/view?usp=drivesdk

Check out my boom death exit.

Fast, safe and effective for mappers who love death exits!

Let me explain how this works:

When you try to take the Plutonia type exit are silently teleported to another sector, where there is a voodoo doll. The sector's height is 25. In Doom, things whose height is more than that of the sector can't move, even tho the floor is moving.

But when you die, your height is reduced to 14 and thanks to the counterintuitive motion exhibited by corpses in vanilla Doom, corpses can trigger walkover linedef types such as teleporters, crushers, and "trapdoor" exits. When the player is killed, their height is immediately reduced to the point that they are capable of sliding under walls or through windows that are normally impossible to circumvent that are at least 14 units in sector height. 

So, when you teleport, you instantly telefrag yourself, and then you are capable of triggering the exit linedefs, unlike the alive voodoo doll, and then your corspe triggers the exit linedef and you exit and proceed to next level.

This exit is very useful for boom mappers out there, as it is very safe and it doesnt require use of barrels, and that's why its not at all noisy, and its super quick, and due to use of silent teleporter the player doesnt even understand when he died!

Thanks for reading!

Edited by Heck Yeah