Doom Comic
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > WADs & Mods > Reinchards high resolution textures and sprites - demo available
Pages (26): « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 » ... Last »  
Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 10:53. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Flynn Taggart
Mini-Member

I like these because they look very faithful (I'm sort of a purist). It reminds me of 80's sci-fi movies. And that shadowing is awesome.

Old Post 06-25-12 21:54 #
Flynn Taggart is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
DuckReconMajor
Forum Legend

That TEKWALL is fantastic beyond belief.

Old Post 06-25-12 22:42 #
DuckReconMajor is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Reinchard666

I made a first touch on Stargr2. It seems to me that I need to broaden the slot between panels. Of course this is work version without decals and without proper shading. I think that the star textures are made from some kind of synthetic material, more like plastic, but harder, less like metal. Look at the bullets holes on original - they don't have any signs of smoke around them. On the other hand there are traces of fire in other places. I do not know what think about that.
http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/1985/stargr2.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Stargr1 ingame (not tileable yet):
http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/8669/testingame.jpg

Old Post 06-26-12 22:21 #
Reinchard666 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Antroid

I'd say the rusty brown'n'gray ones from the screenshot need more contrast, but not as much as the grey one above. :D

Old Post 06-27-12 09:05 #
Antroid is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
DooM_RO

I think it looks weird, your old star texture was way better I think.

Old Post 06-27-12 14:17 #
DooM_RO is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Vermil

It might also be because the art style is more different to the surrounding textures and flats than the first STARx texture Reinchard did.

Last edited by Vermil on 06-27-12 at 14:42

Old Post 06-27-12 14:23 #
Vermil is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Reinchard666

New version stargr2, still far from ideal ... This smoke is terrible.
http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/4815/stargr2beta.jpg

Old Post 06-27-12 21:34 #
Reinchard666 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
qoncept

I like the reduced panel depth. I think I might soften the shadows a bunch and make this one more subdued, because it's kind of a boring texture anyway.

Old Post 06-27-12 22:20 #
qoncept is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Antroid

You should probably render them without perspective. It is really obvious in the last image and it will tile badly because of it, I bet.

Old Post 06-27-12 23:22 #
Antroid is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
bcwood16

Antroid said:
You should probably render them without perspective. It is really obvious in the last image and it will tile badly because of it, I bet.

Yea, I thought that stood out too, the wall seemed to have been rendered at an angle and as you are supposed to look at it flat on, the shadows and shape did not make sense.

Its looking better now though :)

Old Post 06-28-12 09:41 #
bcwood16 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Reinchard666

Ok, another try . Maybe I use this version as a base for further work.

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/1082/star3pu.jpg

Old Post 06-28-12 16:46 #
DooM_RO

Much better, but your last attempt on the first page was still better. I'm not sure about the computer on the lower left, though. I mean, it looks good but how will it look when tiled?

Old Post 06-28-12 16:49 #
DooM_RO is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
NiuHaka

I wasn't liking this texture until this last image. Now I love it and it looks like it would work quite well in game. It also looks very different from my version of the same texture which adds more variety to the community. I do miss those neat bullet holes in the glass though. I guess they were too eye catching when tiled.

Old Post 06-28-12 17:15 #
NiuHaka is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Antroid

That last one is almost exactly how i always imagined the star* textures to look. Maybe the bottoms of the panels could be more round, like the tops, but otherwise it's great, you got the shading spot-on too! (saying purely from the recent memory of the original texture and without actually looking at them side by side)

Old Post 06-28-12 22:20 #
Flynn Taggart
Mini-Member

Looks Perfect. Except that one red spot above the lower-left computer. I think it's supposed to be an LED light or something similar.

Old Post 06-29-12 02:45 #
Flynn Taggart is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Reinchard666

Flynn Taggart said:
it's supposed to be an LED light or something similar.

Exactly! I wonder if it was to be an LED light or some kind of small label with instructions/warnings.

Old Post 06-29-12 05:37 #
Flynn Taggart
Mini-Member

I wouldn't think it would be a warning label. It looks to small to me IMO.

Old Post 06-29-12 06:13 #
BloodyAcid

Looking really nice! I agree, the red dots might be an LED.

Old Post 06-29-12 06:54 #
BloodyAcid is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Reinchard666

Ok, maybe this will be the final version if you like.
http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/6249/stargr2official.png

Miniature: hires/original:
http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/1892/stargr2officialmini.png

http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/1391/stargr2mini.png

Ingame:
http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/9198/ingame2k.jpg

Old Post 06-30-12 14:05 #
schwerpunk

That translates in-game a lot better than I thought it would have! (Good to see the comparison, too.)

I still prefer lo-res textures personally, but you're definitely making a good case for the spiffication of Doom.

EDIT:
put this GIF together, for easier comparison:
http://i.imgur.com/XXIE4.gif (28KB)

Last edited by schwerpunk on 06-30-12 at 14:29

Old Post 06-30-12 14:23 #
schwerpunk is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
DaniJ

Contrast is a bit too strong for my liking.

Old Post 06-30-12 15:50 #
DaniJ is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Flynn Taggart
Mini-Member

Try lightening the area between panels so the contrast isn't as strong. But the rest is great! Have you thought of what texture to attempt after the STARx series?

Old Post 07-01-12 00:24 #
myk
volveré y seré millones

Avoozl said:
It's surpising that some people think that startan is one word rather than star and tan let alone call the green variation startan.
It is one word. It's the type of tan you get from starbathing. Out there in space, people that aren't lucky enough to have the sun nearby settle for what they can get.

Old Post 07-01-12 01:56 #
myk is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
schwerpunk

Pfeh! Young'ens... Clearly it's pronounced 'Saint Tartan,' so named after the patron saint of all true, fashion conscious Scots!

But seriously, I misspoke it as 'spartan' for waaay longer than I'd care to admit.

Old Post 07-01-12 02:47 #
schwerpunk is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
KuriKai

I agree with dani about the contrast being too strong

Old Post 07-01-12 03:04 #
KuriKai is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Mr. T

V cool but it looks like stone, just turn the contrast down a bit to get that plastic look

Old Post 07-01-12 04:14 #
Mr. T is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Nomad
Not dumb enough to get a custom title

Mr. T said:
V cool but it looks like stone,

I think that's what I don't like about it. I don't picture it to be plastic... Maybe more like kind of a futuristic ceramic/fiberglass material.

Old Post 07-01-12 05:21 #
Nomad is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Reinchard666

New version, this time is more plastic then concrete.

http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/4581/stargr2official2a.png

Old Post 07-01-12 16:11 #
BloodyAcid

Hmm, I think that you removed too much of the iron texturing this time. The shadows look nice though

Old Post 07-01-12 18:10 #
BloodyAcid is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
bcwood16

I quite liked the stony look, mainly because I always thought it was stone....or some kind of futuristic stony kind of material.

The new look which is less stony looking, im not sure on, I do like it, but not what I envisioned it would be like. Would need to see this in game to see how it looks compared to the other in game version.

......if that made any sense lol

Old Post 07-02-12 11:25 #
bcwood16 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote