Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The Doomist

Custom Water Texture?

Does anyone have a custom water texture I can use? I'm not lazy, I just have no experience with spriting. How do add custom textures anyway? Do I have to edit lumps or something? I have no experience other than map making. What sprite program do you guys use?

I assume you're talking about floor textures, right? Most of the information in that other thread is specific to wall textures - floor textures (called "flats") are in a completely different format, and are much more limited than wall textures in many ways (and less limited in other ways)

* Your textures must be converted to the Doom Flat format (which is not the same as the standard Doom graphics format) to work. Flats must be exactly 64x64 pixels in size and cannot have transparency.

* In order to work in vanilla Doom, there must be an F_END marker at the end of your flat list (unlike the P_START and P_END markers for wall patches, this is not optional), and there must not be an F_START marker anywhere in your WAD. Vanilla Doom assumes that any flat list starting with F_START is a complete list of every flat in the game, which is not what you want. If you do decide to use a marker for organisational purposes, call it FF_START or something in order to avoid being recognised by the game.

* The PNAMES and TEXTUREx lumps are specific to wall textures, and are neither necessary nor useful when dealing with flats.

* For animated flats (such as water), each animation sequence in the game is defined solely by its first and last frame, which must both be present and in order (first must come before last) if you use them at all. All lumps in between the first and last frame are assumed to be part of that animation cycle, regardless of their names. So, assuming you're replacing the FWATER1-FWATER4 cycle, you could name your lumps FWATER1, FOO1, FOO2, FOO3, FOO4, FOO5, FOO6, FWATER4 for an eight frame custom water animation, even though the original was only four frames.

TL;DR: If all you want to do is replace the original FWATER animation with your own animation with the same number of frames as the original animation, your WAD should contain the entries FWATER1, FWATER2, FWATER3, FWATER4, and F_END, in that order, with the FWATER entries being textures in Doom Flat format, and F_END being just a marker. An FF_START marker may be added to the start of the list, if you prefer (it is not needed). Do not use F_START.

Also, do not put flats (or any other lumps) in between the various lumps used by your maps (MAPxy, THINGS, LINEDEFS, SECTORS, etc). All of the lumps comprising a map must be kept together, or it will not work (in either the game or your editor).

Some ports make it easier to deal with.

Eternity, ZDoom, and ZDoom-derivatives let you use wall textures on floors and ceilings, as well as flats on walls.

There is also the TX_START/TX_END namespace, supported by some ports, that allows to define textures as simply as flats, without having to go through PNAMES/TEXTUREx rigmarole; but without being limited to 64x64. Finally, ports are starting to adopt the PNG format.

For animation, you can define new ones with an ANIMATED lump for Boom support, or an ANIMDEFS one for ZDoom.

The Doomist said:

... but I did mean a waterfall texture for the walls.

Are you looking for waterfall textures (I assume you want them animated) that match the color of the stock DooM F_WATERx FLAT? If so, you can extract them from a wad such as Eternal DooM, which I'm pretty sure uses a waterfall texture with a color match.

If you're looking for a different color, then you can start with any waterfall texture and modify the colors to a suitable set using a graphics editing program.

The Doomist said:

That is some good FLAT info, but I did mean a waterfall texture for the walls. Sorry, I should have said that. ;)

Ah, no problem. Just copy the one of the existing blood/slimefall animations, name them WFALL1-WFALL4*, and do a color remap on them. Add your custom textures to PNAMES and TEXTURE1 and it's done.

*The reason for naming your custom textures WFALL1-WFALL4 is that this animation sequence is actually present in all version of Doom, but no graphics for it are included the IWADs of Doom or Doom II (Final Doom does have graphics for it though). By naming your textures WFALL1-WFALL4 they will be recognised as an animation without you having to do anything else.

Foxpup said:

Ah, no problem. Just copy the one of the existing blood/slimefall animations, name them WFALL1-WFALL4*, and do a color remap on them. Add your custom textures to PNAMES and TEXTURE1 and it's done.

*The reason for naming your custom textures WFALL1-WFALL4 is that this animation sequence is actually present in all version of Doom, but no graphics for it are included the IWADs of Doom or Doom II (Final Doom does have graphics for it though). By naming your textures WFALL1-WFALL4 they will be recognised as an animation without you having to do anything else.

Thanks, mate, and everyone else for helping me too!