Cacodemon
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > Doom Editing > Merging Resources

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 00:31. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Ralphis
IDL Founder

On Windows XP, I had a number of wad utilities that I used that no longer work. Among these are Wintex and WadMerge. I'm looking to merge the resources of two pwads with a utility on Windows 7. What are my options and which do you recommend? Thanks

Old Post 09-29-12 01:45 #
Ralphis is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
sgt dopey

I think XWE can do it but I wouldn't recommend using it, and I'm not sure if Slade3 can do it yet

Old Post 09-29-12 01:48 #
sgt dopey is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
LkMax

Why Doomworld hates XWE? I've never had a problem with it since... uh, well, since the start of this month when I started modding Doom, heh.

Old Post 09-29-12 03:51 #
LkMax is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
sgt dopey

LkMax said:
Why Doomworld hates XWE? I've never had a problem with it since... uh, well, since the start of this month when I started modding Doom, heh.

It tends to corrupt your wads sometimes, and it doesn't like to work with things opened in another program

Old Post 09-29-12 03:53 #
sgt dopey is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Blue Shadow

@LkMax: It's not a matter of hate, it's a matter of reliability and stability. That's all.

When I started modding for Doom a few years ago, my first WAD editor was XWE. I used it for a long while. But the random crashes, and that WAD corruption issue made me search for alternatives in SLumpEd and ultimately Slade 3.

Old Post 09-29-12 04:16 #
Blue Shadow is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
GreyGhost
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

Ralphis said:
What are my options and which do you recommend?
Slade and some patience. Apart from being able to have multiple wads open to copy/paste their contents you can also copy/paste texture definitions, with Slade automagically dragging across the relevant patches and updating PNAMES. MAPINFO and other text-based lumps will probably still have to be merged manually.

LkMax said:
Why Doomworld hates XWE?
Hate? I think it's more an acknowledgment of the fact that XWE hasn't been updated for several years and has known issues with newer versions of Windows.

Old Post 09-29-12 06:20 #
GreyGhost is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
TimeOfDeath
Forum Regular

I think some of it is also Gez pimping out his own wad editor. ;P

Old Post 09-29-12 15:53 #
TimeOfDeath is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote