Doom monster
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > Doom Editing > DB2 Zdoom formats?!

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 08:30. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Eregore
Mini-Member

When you start a new level in Doom Builder 2 you need to decide which engine to use. Often it would be one of these: Doom 2, Doom, Heretic, Hexen, Strife, etc. But there is also the option to do 'Zdoom (Doom in Hexen format)', or 'Zdoom (Heretic in Hexen format), etc. The best I can tell, you still use the engine of the first game, but the mechanics of the second game. Is this correct? Can anybody explain this to me in a practical sense, and why anyone might want to use these formats?

Old Post 10-15-12 21:51 #
Eregore is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Cacowad

becouse the hexen format free you from a lot of boundaries, and you can use the acs scripting to make litterally appen anything you want into your mod, and also you can make cinematics and stuff like that, however you don't need it if you whant to do a vanilla compatibile map.

an excellent example of acs scripting is this wad :

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?id=12227

take a look if you are interessed. hope i explained myself :S

Old Post 10-15-12 22:08 #
Cacowad is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Dragonsbrethren

Elaborating a bit:

http://zdoom.org/wiki/Map_format

Basically, if you're using Doom Builder 2 and you're making a ZDoom exclusive project, go with UDMF for the most features.

Old Post 10-15-12 23:36 #
Dragonsbrethren is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Eregore
Mini-Member

Huh, somehow I missed this while searching around on ZDoom Wiki. Thanks for the link Dragonsbrethren!

Old Post 10-15-12 23:54 #
Eregore is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote