Sarge
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > Doom Editing > Animated monster sprites

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 02:01. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Agentbromsnor

Oh hi Mark, I mean forum!

I have little experience in making sprites. I know how to make static sprites (or rather, how to replace the Doom 2 ones). I also know my way in PhotoShop, so thats not a problem either.

What I want for my mod however, is a enemy sprite that is constantly animating. So even when the monster is standing still, its still animating (looping between a couple of frames).

How do I pull this off in my PWAD?

Also, aside from this, is there a way to set the damage the monster inflicts, and the speed of its movement? I probably have to get into DECORATE, but I'd like to know how to start.

Old Post 11-01-12 13:23 #
Agentbromsnor is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Vermil

Replacing a monsters sprite is indentical to replacing a scenery sprite.

But yes, if you want to add a unique idle animation to a monster (i.e add new sprites) or alter a monsters stats, you'll have to alter the states, which requires Dehacked, Decorate, Ded etc.

Old Post 11-01-12 14:24 #
Vermil is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Agentbromsnor

Vermil said:
Replacing a monsters sprite is indentical to replacing a scenery sprite.

But yes, if you want to add a unique idle animation to a monster (i.e add new sprites) or alter a monsters stats, you'll have to alter the states, which requires Dehacked, Decorate, Ded etc.

Alright, can I find some tutorials for that?

Also, I don't just want the monster to have an animation when idle, I want it to animate ALL the time (even when moving). What I have in mind is a sort of ghost-like monster that has no clear shape or motion.

Old Post 11-01-12 17:44 #
Agentbromsnor is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Agentbromsnor

Alright, I've got another question. How do I use ambient sounds? I've looked into this, and I know I have to use a SNDINFO lump, but I'm kinda lost after that. Somehow when I try to play my map with the ambient sound thing the console reads that it can't find the sprite or something. I think the problem might be that I don't know where to put the sound file. Can I just put it in the WAD itself? Do I need some kind of directory? DECORATE? Help?

Old Post 11-02-12 12:47 #
Gez
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

The ZDoom wiki has a page on ambient sounds which summarizes all the ways to create them and what each method involves. Do not be afraid to follow the hyperlinks for more in-depth explanations. For knowing where to place sound files themselves, refer to the namespace article. In this case, sound lumps go in the global namespace (outside of any *_START/*_END markers) in a wad file.

If something is not clear and you need more details, please specify exactly what you are attempting.

Old Post 11-02-12 13:01 #
Gez is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Agentbromsnor

Gez said:
The ZDoom wiki has a page on ambient sounds which summarizes all the ways to create them and what each method involves. Do not be afraid to follow the hyperlinks for more in-depth explanations. For knowing where to place sound files themselves, refer to the namespace article. In this case, sound lumps go in the global namespace (outside of any *_START/*_END markers) in a wad file.

If something is not clear and you need more details, please specify exactly what you are attempting.

I've read the article about ambient sound. So if I understand this correctly, I have to place my sound file in a seperate WAD? What does the 'sound/ambient' code refer to? Because to me it looks like its refering to a folder.

I'm very slow with picking up technical stuff, so please excuse me if I'm asking alot. :)

Old Post 11-02-12 18:02 #