Severed bunny head
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > Doom Editing > Question [sound blocking]

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 14:48. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Joseph Lord

Who can tell me please how works the block sound, srry for the newbie question

Old Post 11-02-12 17:31 #
Joseph Lord is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Sodaholic
I feel justified yet disgusted with myself at the same time

In order to fully block sound, you need to have two lines that block sound, one won't be enough.

Old Post 11-02-12 17:40 #
Sodaholic is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Joseph Lord

Thanks man!

Old Post 11-02-12 17:56 #
Joseph Lord is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
BaronOfStuff

Sodaholic said:
In order to fully block sound, you need to have two lines that block sound, one won't be enough.

I've never been able to work out the reason for this. It's easy to get the hang of, but has always puzzled me.

Old Post 11-04-12 16:41 #
BaronOfStuff is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Dragonsbrethren

Having to use two lines gives you more control over the flow of the monsters from later parts of the map. Having it work with only one line would be a lot less versatile.

Last edited by Dragonsbrethren on 11-04-12 at 16:54

Old Post 11-04-12 16:49 #
Dragonsbrethren is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
joepallai

BaronOfStuff said:

I've never been able to work out the reason for this. It's easy to get the hang of, but has always puzzled me.

I think the idea behind it is to trap the sound within, sort of like having a layer of insulation between two conductors. (this isn't the greatest explanation)

---> ] ---> [

sort of like that

Old Post 11-04-12 23:20 #
joepallai is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Gez
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

Suppose you have three rooms like this, separated by sound-blocking lines:

code:
___________________ | | | | | A | B | C | | | | | ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

You open fire in A, you wake the monsters in B; but not those in C.
You open fire in B, you wake the monsters in A and in C.
You open fire in C, you wake the monsters in B; but not those in A.

It makes sense. It lets you build more reasonable (I wouldn't say "realistic") situations with monster placement and makes it easier to guess their behavior during play while you are mapping.

Old Post 11-05-12 00:23 #
Gez is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Enjay
ASK ME ABOUT FOOTBALL / STEAM / DEAD CELEBRITIES / THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT

For a "live" example of what Gez described, look no further than MAP01 of Doom2. In an editor, look along the main route from the start point to the large room with the exit door. Look at where the sound blocking lines appear and consider when the various enemies wake up as you move along the route firing your weapon.

http://i.imgur.com/ENewe.png

Old Post 11-08-12 22:22 #
Enjay is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Pottus
Forum Regular

What editor is that Enjay ?

Old Post 11-09-12 00:36 #
Pottus is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Nomad
Not dumb enough to get a custom title

I'm going to ask a quick question--what's the deal with doors and blocking sounds? I've had some doors seem to block sound when they're closed (without being flagged to), but sometimes even when a given door is closed it still wakes dudes up on the other side when you make a noise. Not sure if maybe only certain types of doors will block sounds or what.

Old Post 11-09-12 01:15 #
Nomad is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
GreyGhost
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

Pottus said:
What editor is that Enjay ?
Looks like DeePsea.

Old Post 11-09-12 01:25 #
GreyGhost is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
PRIMEVAL

Nomad said:
I'm going to ask a quick question--what's the deal with doors and blocking sounds? I've had some doors seem to block sound when they're closed (without being flagged to), but sometimes even when a given door is closed it still wakes dudes up on the other side when you make a noise. Not sure if maybe only certain types of doors will block sounds or what.

Sometimes, for example, there may be two sectors on each side of the door but are connected (acting as if one sector). This allows the sound to travel through the door. Now if the sectors are there own sector each, then sound is blocked.

That's the best I can explain it, anyway.

Old Post 11-09-12 17:12 #
PRIMEVAL is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Nomad
Not dumb enough to get a custom title

Ok, I gotcha. Looking at one of my old maps I can see why that happened now.

Old Post 11-09-12 18:54 #
Nomad is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Enjay
ASK ME ABOUT FOOTBALL / STEAM / DEAD CELEBRITIES / THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT

GreyGhost said:
Looks like DeePsea.

It is.

Old Post 11-09-12 20:30 #
Enjay is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote