Mancubus
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > Doom Editing > How to do things in my UDoom wad while still keeping it non sourceport specific

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 08:02. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Knas
Warming Up

There are a few things I want know how to do in my UDoom wad and that I don't think is possible while keeping it "vanilla". So at least I hope it's possible to change these things and not have it limited to a specific sourceport.

1. How do I change the level after the secret level? I've read something about Dehacked but I don't really get it.

2. Can I remove all the animations from the intermission screen and change it to a static background? I want to remove the par time too. And where in the wad do I change what name a level has on the intermission screen?

3. Is it possible to change the exit condition on map 8 in all episodes? I don't want the levels to end when I kill the cyberdemon or the spider. Also, it possible to change what trigger the 666 tag and what that sector does after?

Old Post 11-20-12 21:24 #
Knas is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Gez
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

Knas said:
1. How do I change the level after the secret level? I've read something about Dehacked but I don't really get it.

With MAPINFO. DEHACKED cannot do it. You cannot change level progression for vanilla, Chocolate, PrBoom, and other MAPINFO-less engines.

Knas said:
2. Can I remove all the animations from the intermission screen and change it to a static background? I want to remove the par time too. And where in the wad do I change what name a level has on the intermission screen?

The idea is generally to replace the intermission animation graphics with a fully transparent (and therefore invisible) image. You can't remove or change the par time. The level names are stored in the WILV## lumps (CWILV## lumps in Doom II), using base 0 instead of base 1. (So the name for E1M1 is in WILV00, E2M7 is in WILV16, and E4M9 is in WILV38.)

Knas said:
3. Is it possible to change the exit condition on map 8 in all episodes? I don't want the levels to end when I kill the cyberdemon or the spider. Also, it possible to change what trigger the 666 tag and what that sector does after?

No, unless you use port-specific features such as, again, MAPINFO.

Another possibility consists in being sneaky. Using DEHACKED, transfer all the states and properties from the Cyberdemon to some unused monster (say, the mancubus, since it's a Doom II monster and you're using Ultimate Doom). Swap out the editor numbers, too. So that you'll place in your map a mancubus that will look and behave like a cyberdemon. When you kill it, the engine will think it's not a cyberdemon and will therefore not finish the level. The drawback here is that the mancubus is not immune to splash damage, so the cyberdemon will kill itself.

Something you can do if you use a cyberdemon but no spiderdemon on E2M8 and E4M6; and a spiderdemon but no cyberdemon on E3M8 and E4M8, is to swap out all properties of the cyberdemon and spiderdemon.

That way, the engine will think you have defeated a spider on E2M8 (which will not trigger the endgame), and a cyber on E3M8 (which will also not trigger the endgame).

Old Post 11-20-12 21:38 #
Gez is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Knas
Warming Up

Thanks, this is what I wanted to know. A few things:

With MAPINFO. DEHACKED cannot do it. You cannot change level progression for vanilla, Chocolate, PrBoom, and other MAPINFO-less engines.
I checked the link there, and do I have to enter all the different syntaxes for each engine or is there there one that works on all ports, or did I just misunderstand?

I guess I can use this too for the ending text?

Also, doing this will that decrease the chance that people that don't use a port that support this will not play it, or maybe Doom player aren't that picky about ports? :p

You can't remove or change the par time.
Yes you can, I just played Reverie and it's gone in it.

Something you can do if you use a cyberdemon but no spiderdemon on E2M8 and E4M6; and a spiderdemon but no cyberdemon on E3M8 and E4M8, is to swap out all properties of the cyberdemon and spiderdemon.

That way, the engine will think you have defeated a spider on E2M8 (which will not trigger the endgame), and a cyber on E3M8 (which will also not trigger the endgame).
Hmm, can I trigger the 666 tag with this or does that only work on e1 and e4?

Old Post 11-21-12 01:39 #
Knas is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
hex11
Forum Staple

The tag 666 stuff is very specific to E1 and E4:
http://doomwiki.org/wiki/Tag_666

And note the interesting difference betweeen DOOM and Ultimate DOOM for E1M8 (uac_dead.wad doesn't work right in Ultimate DOOM). Maybe you can exploit that somehow.

For E2 you could just have an extra cyberdemon that's in an unreachable room with a fast crusher that's activated when player crosses the exit linedef (exit switch might work too, but the delay will feel strange). Or maybe having a ton of barrels around the cyberdemon and one of them under a crusher will do the trick faster. Or maybe a telefrag is possible somehow.

Ditto for E3, but with an extra spiderdemon.

Old Post 11-21-12 21:58 #
hex11 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Gez
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

Knas said:
I checked the link there, and do I have to enter all the different syntaxes for each engine or is there there one that works on all ports, or did I just misunderstand?

The old ZDoom format is the one supported by the most ports (as long as you keep it for simple, basic features). You won't need to use ZDoom's new format ("ZMAPINFO") in addition. You will need, however, to also include EMAPINFO for Eternity and DD_DEFNS with Map Info block for Doomsday.

And there are no option for vanilla/Chocolate/PrBoom(+).

Knas said:
Yes you can, I just played Reverie and it's gone in it.

I don't know how it's done in Reverie. It's easy enough to replace the graphic that says "PAR TIME" with a transparent one, but that won't get rid of the actual time values.

hex11 said:
Or maybe having a ton of barrels around the cyberdemon and one of them under a crusher will do the trick faster.

Cyberdemons are immune to splash damage. You can put a million barrels next to a one and explode them, the cybie will not take any single point of damage.

Old Post 11-21-12 22:14 #
Gez is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Knas
Warming Up

Ok, that's all I need to know I think. Thanks guys.

Old Post 11-22-12 01:31 #