Archvile
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > Doom Editing > Program For New Textures?

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 14:43. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
The Doomist

What program do some of you guys use to make textures and flats? I really want to make transparent textures and wall textures for myself.

Old Post 12-02-12 22:35 #
The Doomist is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Blue Shadow

What software do you usually use to create and edit graphics, in general? Use that.

I, my self, use Paintshop Pro.

Old Post 12-03-12 07:22 #
Blue Shadow is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
PRIMEVAL

I'd use Photoshop. To create transparent textures, you mean like windows? That can be done with any texture in Hexen or UDMF format.

Old Post 12-03-12 15:34 #
PRIMEVAL is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Harmata
Loser

Textures are created either in image editing programs like Photoshop or specialized programs like Genetica.
Here's a list of free programs that i know:

MapZone (analogue is Substance Designer)
Paint.Net (Paint/Photoshop)
GIMP (Photoshop)
Wood Workshop (Genetica)

If you'll learn how to work with these free programs then you'll be able to create textures with more advance but not free programs like Photoshop. They cost a lot of gold tho.

If by transparency you mean textures like grates and railings then in SLADE3 you need to select the color of transparency in the Convert to.. menu, the cyan color is selected by default, which means that cyan parts of the texture will become transparent.

Old Post 12-04-12 09:56 #
Harmata is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Agentbromsnor

Harmata said:
Textures are created either in image editing programs like Photoshop or specialized programs like Genetica.
Here's a list of free programs that i know:

MapZone (analogue is Substance Designer)
Paint.Net (Paint/Photoshop)
GIMP (Photoshop)
Wood Workshop (Genetica)

If you'll learn how to work with these free programs then you'll be able to create textures with more advance but not free programs like Photoshop. They cost a lot of gold tho.

If by transparency you mean textures like grates and railings then in SLADE3 you need to select the color of transparency in the Convert to.. menu, the cyan color is selected by default, which means that cyan parts of the texture will become transparent.

You could use trial version of PhotoShop, and if on alot of sites you can get a big student discount these days. I'm using a pirated version myself, but I'm going to buy it because I'm a student (it only costs me about 30 Euro's then!). That, and pirating is bad, mmkay? :)

Old Post 12-04-12 12:21 #
Agentbromsnor is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Necromancer-AMV

Fireworks. Provides you with quite a bit of Photoshop's functionality, without Photoshop's price.

Old Post 12-05-12 03:07 #
Necromancer-AMV is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Pottus
Forum Regular

Blue Shadow said:
What software do you usually use to create and edit graphics, in general? Use that.

I, my self, use Paintshop Pro.

Ya I really like this one myself even though it's older but the technical aspect and simple user interface make it very enjoyable.

Old Post 12-05-12 20:31 #
Pottus is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
The Doomist

Thanks guys! I'll check some out, see which one seems right. BTW, never made any textures, pictures, or anything on a computer, so I don't really have a program for drawing and such, if you count MS-Paint, which pretty much sucks! **

Old Post 12-07-12 16:16 #
The Doomist is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote