Doom Comic
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > Doom Editing > Gate Door?

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 16:24. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
djvero
Mini-Member

How can you create a 'gate door' in Doom Builder 2? For example, in Map25 from Alien Vendetta there is such a door. So what I mean is a door which you can look through, but can't pass (because of a gate for example) unless you open it.

Here's a picture of what I mean (from AV):

http://i46.tinypic.com/2v3mrzc.png

I've tried recreating it, but I fail

Old Post 12-18-12 19:00 #
djvero is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
ComicMischief

Is it a self-referencing sector with a mid-texture overlayed?

Same kind of thing as used for '3D' bridges, but not a bridge, obviously.

Old Post 12-18-12 19:05 #
ComicMischief is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Eris Falling
Forum Staple

It seems to be a deleted sector with a see through texture. I think this is the right area
http://img607.imageshack.us/img607/4656/map25trick.png

Old Post 12-18-12 19:10 #
Eris Falling is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Egregor

A gate door is a door with transparency, if I understand you correctly. I didn't have to go very far to find you this:
http://www.doomworld.com/tutorials/fx5.php

Old Post 12-18-12 19:47 #
Egregor is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
djvero
Mini-Member

Yes, that tutorial did the trick apparently! Thanks guys

Old Post 12-18-12 21:44 #
djvero is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Pottus
Forum Regular

It is pretty buggy though keep in mind

Old Post 12-19-12 07:47 #
Pottus is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
djvero
Mini-Member

Yea I already noticed that. The side walls give an HOM-effect when the 'door' is closed...

Old Post 12-19-12 18:10 #
Enjay
ASK ME ABOUT FOOTBALL / STEAM / DEAD CELEBRITIES / THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT

If you are aiming for a source port that has BOOM's transfer heights special, you can make the door a normal sector and then make it invisible with the transfer heights feature. That gets rid of the HOM.

Old Post 12-19-12 18:27 #
Enjay is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
djvero
Mini-Member

I don't know exactly what you mean with source port, but if it is what I think it is I'm using Zdoom (Doom in Doom format). But it's barely visible, so I'm just gonna leave it at that.

Old Post 12-19-12 19:58 #
Scypek2

To get rid of the HOM with self-referencing sectors, instead on using something like that:
code:
| | |---------| |---------| | |

use something like that:

code:
| | |/-------\| |\-------/| | |

(| is 1-sided line at the side of the gate).
No walls neighbouring with s-r sector = no HOM.

Old Post 12-19-12 20:21 #
Scypek2 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
djvero
Mini-Member

Alright, that worked! Thanks man, now it looks a lot better

Old Post 12-21-12 13:12 #
Gez
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

With your chosen source port, you could also have used 3D middle textures attached to a dummy sector. Have that dummy sector work as a door, and the middle texture will move up and down accordingly, allowing to pass above or below it freely but not through it.

Old Post 12-21-12 14:32 #
Gez is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Agentbromsnor

Gez said:
With your chosen source port, you could also have used 3D middle textures attached to a dummy sector. Have that dummy sector work as a door, and the middle texture will move up and down accordingly, allowing to pass above or below it freely but not through it.

He said he used Doom format though, don't you need Doom in Hexen format to use dummy sectors and such?

Old Post 12-21-12 15:20 #
Agentbromsnor is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Gez
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

Not at all. You could make dummy sectors with the Wolf3D map format. It's just a sector like any others, which simply does not need to be connected to the playable area.

Eternity is still only compatible with the Doom map format, not Hexen format or UDMF, and it has attached 3D midtex doors and elevators. Try De Kerker and Ogro Power Facility.

Old Post 12-21-12 15:49 #
Gez is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote