Doom monster
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > Doom Editing > Tidying up/ lumping together Resources

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 11:05. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
gemini09

Hey.

I've downloaded and used a bunch of new monsters and weapons for my mod.

How should I go about lumping the crap together? I kind of already know, but I was wondering if anybody had some extra tips and pointers that could be useful.

My concern is with the script files. Should I lump everything into a new text file (Decorate)?

Were there any benefits to PK3 format aside from compressing the size? But perhaps it's more appropriate to use when I have multiple resource files (monsters, weapons, etc)?

Old Post 12-20-12 14:02 #
gemini09 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Springy

Will this be of any use to you? http://zdoom.org/wiki/PK3

Old Post 12-20-12 14:11 #
Springy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
gemini09

Yes. Thank you.

Any more pointers and such, though..? I wouldn't mind getting a small discussion going.

Old Post 12-20-12 15:06 #
gemini09 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Quasar

I should probably not be surprised that article still doesn't mention EE as sharing compatible handling of pk3/zip files :P

Old Post 12-20-12 22:02 #
Quasar is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
printz
CRAZY DUMB ZEALOT

Can SLADE3 filter lump types and automatically group them in categories (levels, sounds, sprites, other gfx...) for you?

Old Post 12-20-12 22:45 #
printz is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Gez
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

Filtering only affects the display, though. It doesn't actually change anything in the archive.

Old Post 12-20-12 23:15 #
Gez is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
gemini09

^ I'm glad you could come.

addressing somebody else in the thread and not the original post. Great..

Old Post 12-21-12 16:45 #
GreyGhost
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

gemini09 said:
My concern is with the script files. Should I lump everything into a new text file (Decorate)?

Were there any benefits to PK3 format aside from compressing the size? But perhaps it's more appropriate to use when I have multiple resource files (monsters, weapons, etc)?

You might find the scripts easier to manage and debug if they're broken down into categories and called from a DECORATE script that's basically just a set of includes, like the following from a PK3 I was working on -
code:
#include "actors/effects.txt" #include "actors/monsters.txt" #include "actors/pickups.txt" #include "actors/props.txt" #include "actors/weapons.txt"

From a file management perspective, the PK3 format is probably easier to work with as well as providing additional namespaces that aren't supported by the WAD format.

Old Post 12-22-12 02:38 #
GreyGhost is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
gemini09

Okay. Thank you very much, GreyGhost.

I think the whole Decorate and "coding" and PK3 area is a little overwhelming, but discussing it helps to familiarize one self with it. :) Thanks.

*exhale, exhale* "Okay, here we go" (when I get back from Xmas holidays)

Old Post 12-22-12 12:30 #