Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Darkstalker

Frustrating problem

I still have my problem with compiling and now it's getting a bit frustrating. DeepSea can't fix it, XWE either. WA still telling me "bad script number", I play my map and the script works. The problem is in the checkbox I have 8 script problem but they work. Can someone tell me what I do wrong. Even when I compile and put the behavior manually it doesn't work... Plus Deepsea can't compile it because it says the script has a problem but when I compile it acc.exe (most recent) it compiles it without showing any problem. Can I send it to someone to check it out ? Check it in WA to see what I mean.

Darkstalker, I've found the problem. There is nothing wrong with the scripts as far as I can tell, and in fact I only know how to do about half the things in there. Fact is, acc 1.21 compiles it without problem when I do the compiling external to WA. Eventually I got WA sorted out, compiled the script from within WA and no more errors show up. Here's what to do:

You should get the current acc.exe, version 1.21, from the zdoom web site. Unzip it all into your WadAuthor folder. Edit the zcommon.acs file, uncomment the line #WadAuthor. Close all. Open WadAuthor, open your wad, go to scripts and compile (you might need to have the scripts.acs file existing in the same folder as your wad, not sure, I had already done that before reaching solution). Check script errors, none :)

Mike B. (Biff)

Jack V. - Maybe you should make sure there is no problem compiling this via DeePsea? I'm not sure of myself enough to verify whether a problem exists or not. I'll send it to you via email ASAP.

"teleportinsector : Identifier has not been declared"

That means that that variable name "teleportinsector" does not exist.

That's the mistake. Both DeePACC and ACC 1.21 give the same error. If 1.21 didn't I'm pretty sure you didn't run the script I saw in the level or you didn't send me the same thing or?

In any event d'l the new 11.6 since there is a mistake in both ACC 1.21 and DeePACC if you use a "return" when you shouldn't:)

Ok, I found the original script. The problem is a bit different than I thought.

It really revolves around parsing. As in C/C++, when you make a syntax mistake you can get strange errors.

So TeleportInSector is SUPPOSED to have (...) - so technically the syntax is wrong there and it was interpreted as a variable.

I'd have to look closer, but it looks like there's something not being set correctly in the compiler and thus depending on the length of the path and memory used, it can accidently work, although technically it's not correct.

IOW, the mistake in ACC (and DeePACC) is that sometimes it let's it by without complaining. DeePACC does have slightly different parsing - tending to continue rather than stop if errors are found.

So the original script guy just lucked out in the combination environment he compiled it under or there's something else (a mistake) triggering this behavior. Need to look some more

I don't have that error compiling with 1.21....however maybe you did not have the latest zspecial.acs file? In that file you will find 78:TeleportInSector(4,5),.
The problem which DStalker meant was, his wad works, the scripts are there, but WA was reporting script one as not existing when he used the error checking function. I don't know exactly what the root problem was, but found that when I used all of the acc 1.21 files, putting them in the WA directory, and edited the line as noted in the zcommon.acs file, that WA now will compile, install behavior lump, and call it good.

Deep, OK I'll leave you to the more technical resolution. Our posts crossed each other. At least this guy should be able to get back to work when his WA tool stops misbehaving.

Well I found out I had acc version 1.19. I went to zdoom and I only found the 1.13 version of it. Was there a link to Zdoom's ftp cause I can't find the 1.21?

Oops, I put his WAD in a directory I never updated with the latest includes. Knowing too much can get you in trouble with one's thoughts - there is a parsing error:)

Anyway it all works. What is the question?

IOW, there is NO error when compiled in DeePACC either. I suspect both of you are running on old DeePACC (assuming Biff compiled it?). And Darkstalker also an old ACC. It helps if one posts the text of the error message. It's real easy to get that from DeePsea - just cut and past it out of the error box.

Oh and that WA script error is 100% due to a object format change. 1.21 reverted back to a fake sort of thing just to keep that happy.

11.57 works fine too. It just has the "return" bug which 1.21 still has. You can replace the 11.57 DeePACC with 11.6. All I did was fix that bug. Your system can behave weird on that one since it will overlay random memory. All depends.

Ahhhhhh, it finally works... Thanks guys.
Another thing, how did you compile a script using WA? I've tried for some times but I always get an error message that WA can't compile it, but all my files are in the same folder. Must I specify the path to acc somewhere?

For WA/ACC, you can't have WA in a directory with long file names with blanks since it doesn't put quotes around the name. Can't remember for sure if it matters if it's longer than 8.3.

Also did you uncomment the #WadAuthor as Biff noted above? It has to do with that object script stuff I mentioned.

Yeah I've uncommented the line but by long file name, do you mean the name of the directory WA is. Cause in my comp, it's like
"c:\Mes Document/Sébas/jeux/scripting/".I s it the space between Mes and Documents that poses a problem ?

I guess that Deep has hit on the answer to WA/ACC. I have WA in a directory "path" which does not include any names longer than 8 characters. c:\games\editors\wauthor on this machine. All I had to do, to make WA compile the script, was put the acc.exe and associated files in the wauthor directory and edit the zcommon.acs file. So, WA is just using the new ACC to do the compiling.

I'm not sure if you need the scripts.acs file to exist separately from the one embedded in the wadfile for WA to make ACC "see" it. I had extracted the script text from the wad in question, to the same directory as the wadfile itself, and did not delete it. Will test that soon and report.

Quick test reveals that WA can direct the scripts lump into acc.exe, creating the behavior lump, and the lumps remain within the wad. You do not need to have a scripts.acs file separate from the wad file.