Baron of Hell
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > Doom Editing > Water Question.

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 20:28. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
SkySplatter

Hello, i want to get into mapping for Doom and i'm not sure if it's a
simple question but i might as well ask it anyway. on some wad's such as "Wrath Of Cronos" and some maps on IoP, there are liquid textures that have the effect of quake with the swirly look and what not, is there a special effect i'm missing or is it a completely different texture?

Last edited by SkySplatter on 12-30-12 at 21:46

Old Post 12-30-12 21:04 #
SkySplatter is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Ribbiks

different texture most likely, though I didn't check the wads you mentioned. when in doubt load up slade/xwe/etc and poke around.

Last edited by Ribbiks on 12-30-12 at 22:52

Old Post 12-30-12 22:07 #
Ribbiks is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Gez
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

Some source ports (notably: the whole ZDoom family, SMMU, and Eternity Engine) have Quake-like swirling textures as a special effect. In SMMU and Eternity, this is achieved with an ANIMATED hack, while ZDoom offers two types of warping through ANIMDEFS.

Old Post 12-30-12 22:17 #
Gez is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
40oz
Forum Spammer

However, it is possible to achieve a marginally similar effect, as Doom allows you to add extra frames to it's texture animations by using letters as the suffix of the texture names. Check out the liquids in Back to Saturn X for example. The speed of the animation however, cannot be modified in Doom without the aid of a source port that allows it.

Old Post 12-31-12 12:35 #
40oz is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote