Reaper Grimm
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > Doom Editing > An idea on how to make realistic doors

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 22:33. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Agentbromsnor

I'm cursed with the Doom modding virus. With that, I mean that I've become so adapted to working with the Doom engine, that sometimes when I think of things like interiors I can stop but wonder how such a thing could be created in a 2,5D envirement.

So today I thought of another thing. We all know that there's a limit to using polyobject doors, because the ceiling must always be at the same height as the door. But I thought about this: how about making a 3D floor above your door that connects to it, and put the 3D floors oppacity to 0?

Would something like that work? I'm just thinking out loud here!

Old Post 01-09-13 03:32 #
Agentbromsnor is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Obsidian

I...guess it could work. It'd look a bit nasty if you viewed it from above though.

Old Post 01-09-13 04:19 #
Obsidian is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Gez
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

You can make a polyobject out of two-sided lines, and give them a midtexture. Add the 3Dmidtex flag. And there you go.

Old Post 01-09-13 08:32 #
Gez is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Agentbromsnor

Obsidian said:
I...guess it could work. It'd look a bit nasty if you viewed it from above though.

Thats true, but you could at least make it look good for large doors. For example, you make remake the doors in the first level of Blood, instead of the silly looking Doom door they used in ZBlood.

Old Post 01-09-13 15:53 #
Agentbromsnor is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Agentbromsnor

Gez said:
You can make a polyobject out of two-sided lines, and give them a midtexture. Add the 3Dmidtex flag. And there you go.

So you're suggesting a polyobject with 3D midtextures..?

Old Post 01-09-13 17:20 #
Gez

It's a ZDoom 2.6+ feature. They're used notably in ZDCMP2.

Old Post 01-09-13 17:23 #
Gez is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Agentbromsnor

Gez said:
It's a ZDoom 2.6+ feature. They're used notably in ZDCMP2.

I can't find any screenshots or video's of that though. :C

Old Post 01-09-13 17:33 #
Shadow Hog
Forum Regular

I swear it's earlier than ZDoom 2.6, since that Doom Center map had it for the McDonald's building, and I was playing that on an earlier version of GZDoom like a year or so ago.

Nevertheless, it's a handy feature, and probably the best way to go about it.

Old Post 01-09-13 17:35 #
Shadow Hog is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Enjay
ASK ME ABOUT FOOTBALL / STEAM / DEAD CELEBRITIES / THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT

It's been possible to use 2S lines and textures like MIDBARS on polys for a long time but Gez is describing flagging them as a 3D mid tex as well and that is newer.

Old Post 01-09-13 18:43 #
Enjay is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
kristus
Megablast!

You can also use portals to get the same effect. Though if you see from on top of the portal, you would get a HOM. Though to my knowledge there are no linked portals in ZDoom so it should be a non issue. But it would limit the freedom of the level designer in how you can layout the scene.

Old Post 01-09-13 18:58 #
kristus is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Shadow Hog
Forum Regular

It had them flagged as 3D mid-texture, too; you could not go through that door without opening it.

I think it was using Line_SetIdentification, though, which certainly was less convenient than UDMF, where you just check a flag.

Old Post 01-09-13 18:59 #
Shadow Hog is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Gez

Agentbromsnor said:

I can't find any screenshots or video's of that though. :C

Well, then, browse through these pictures.

Old Post 01-09-13 20:01 #
Agentbromsnor

Gez said:

Well, then, browse through these pictures.

That looks very neat indeed! I see that technology-wise the line between Doom and Duke 3D is even more blurred by this.

Old Post 01-09-13 23:18 #
scalliano
This door is opened elsewhere...

Software mode only though, apparently:
http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/3953/screenshotdoom201301100.png
This is how those polyobject doors render in GZDoom. Weird thing is, normally the pit in the centre displays correctly. New SVN being a tit, perhaps?

Last edited by scalliano on 01-10-13 at 04:30

Old Post 01-10-13 04:24 #
scalliano is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Gez

Everything works fine for me in GZDoom r1500+. In older revisions, the 3D midtexes are rendered this way because since they lack the double-sided flag, they are drawn with the function used to draw one-sided lines.

Old Post 01-10-13 08:52 #
Vermil

Enjay said:
It's been possible to use 2S lines and textures like MIDBARS on polys for a long time.

Indeed, even Vanilla HeXen can do that.

Old Post 01-10-13 09:35 #
Vermil is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
scalliano
This door is opened elsewhere...

Gez said:
Everything works fine for me in GZDoom r1500+. In older revisions, the 3D midtexes are rendered this way because since they lack the double-sided flag, they are drawn with the function used to draw one-sided lines.

Tried it with r1504 and the doors render correctly. The pit is still screwed up, though. I've posted that as a possible bug over on R667.

Old Post 01-10-13 15:36 #
scalliano is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Enjay
ASK ME ABOUT FOOTBALL / STEAM / DEAD CELEBRITIES / THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT

Shadow Hog said:
It had them flagged as 3D mid-texture, too; you could not go through that door without opening it.

It wouldn't be much use as a door if you could go through it without opening it.

You can still make blocking see through poly doors without using 3Dmidtex lines. The difference is that the line blocks for its full height rather than just the height of the texture. As Vermil said, that goes right back to vanilla Hexen. For a good Doom/ZDoom map that uses a number of midbars sliding and pivoting poly doors you could do a lot worse than check out this map:

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=11115

Old Post 01-10-13 19:26 #
Enjay is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote