Ouchface
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > Doom Editing > Animated textures

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 08:35. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Magnum Express

A custom animated texture that I made appears black in game, but it appears just fine in DB2's 3D viewing mode. I followed the guides on the ZDoom wiki, and I am not sure what the problem is. What can I do to fix this?

Last edited by Magnum Express on 01-13-13 at 16:25

Old Post 01-13-13 14:48 #
Magnum Express is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Egregor

I seem to remember having this problem before. Before anyone can help you, you'll need to be more specific.

-What editor are you using to implement these changes? I would recommend Slade 3.

-What port are you using to test the game?

-What dimensions and visual format are the textures in?

-Where you using ANIMATED (Boom Animated), or ANIMDEFS?

-Did you remember to 'add to patch table' and 'add to TEXTUREx'?

Old Post 01-13-13 19:38 #
Egregor is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Magnum Express

Okay, here are the specifics:
- I am using Slade 3
- The port is GZDoom
- The image is in PNG format with 256 x 128 for dimensions
- I am using ANIMDEFS
- I did add the textures to a patch table

Old Post 01-13-13 22:25 #
Magnum Express is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Egregor

Okay, now we can see what your doing! I've really only figured out stuff from guess and check, and asking here, so I am really only guessing here but the problem could be that you are trying to use a PNG with ANIMDEFS.

-Try converting the graphics that are going to be used with ANIMDEFS from 'PNGs (Existing/Global)' to 'Doom Gfx (Doom)' using Slade3.

-If that doesn't work post your ANIMDEFS script contents so we can see if there are any errors in it.

-There also might be a problem with its 256 dimension. I think the largest animated dimension I've seen is 128x128.

Last edited by Egregor on 01-14-13 at 10:41

Old Post 01-14-13 10:35 #
Egregor is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Gez
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

Please upload the file somewhere so we can take a look at it. Guesswork isn't going to help.

Egregor said:
the problem could be that you are trying to use a PNG with ANIMDEFS

No. This cannot be a problem in GZDoom.

Egregor said:
There also might be a problem with its 256 dimension. I think the largest animated dimension I've seen is 128x128.

The dimensions are also not a problem.

Old Post 01-14-13 12:58 #
Gez is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Avoozl
Forum Staple

Gez is correct here, png files and 256 res textures work as animated textures in GZDoom quite fine.

Old Post 01-14-13 15:17 #
Avoozl is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Shadow Hog
Forum Regular

Can you safely add a PNG-format patch to a TEXTURE1/PATCHES lump pair? Admittedly, I've never tried.

Old Post 01-14-13 15:28 #
Shadow Hog is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Gez
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

Of course you can.

It makes no difference. ZDoom's texture manager doesn't care what format a picture is, as long as it is in one of the supported image formats.

Old Post 01-14-13 15:30 #
Gez is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote