Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NoWaves

Door Glitch in Doom Builder 2

I keep getting this glitch where I create the door like I usually do, and instead of it working, it simply shifts the texture up a notch. I can't find any answers to this specific problem.

Would be easier to spot the problem if you uploaded an example. Check that the door's not attached to a zero-height sector based wall that has it's floor/ceiling set to the doors floor level.

Yeah, I'll bet anything that it's because you've got a zero-height sector right next to it.

Yeah I would like a screenshot or video to see your problem like how others have asked because I'm not sure what it exactly looks like. You might be getting this problem because you might not have made the door right, because when I used Doom Builder 2 for the very first time, I failed at making a door and it did not work out great.

im using gzdoom builder atm and im getting a glitch where i go to operate the door as normal, and it goes down one step then back to its original position.

ive made countless doors and never encountered this but for some reason these 2 doors just do this. only been building for a month now tho.

i read what was said here, so i made the ceilings in the sectors beside the door even with the roof again, then raised the floor to the ceiling instead.
operated the door and it worked like a dream.

i dont know the technical behind it but it would be good to know if anyone can be bothered explaining.

Doors are programmed to open up to a height that is 4 map units below their lowest neighboring ceiling. Even if the lowest neighboring ceiling is lower than the door's floor, this still applies, and so the ceiling effectively blocks the door from opening.

Pretty sure this is a problem when the door has 2 pillars to the left and right and they are facing down

Also there cannot be any linedefs inside the door sector or problems also occur with the door opening. (They do not, for some reason, seem to occur with a door closing, but they will often if not always prevent it from opening. I'm not entirely sure what's going on there engine wise, because if you raise the ceiling via other means, such as a type 40 linedef, those are not affected!)

The "4 below lowest adjacent ceiling" property can be used for effect, as well - keep in mind that effects that alter such ceilings will alter the door behavior! Examples are Memento Mori 2 map 7's famous "glitchy door" (especially "glitchy" in its day, largely because you cannot save on this map in Vanilla or it tends to become permanently stuck!) and the current incarnation of Freedoom Phase 2 map11 (where hidden control sectors are used to create the illusion of a vanilla map that uses 6 keys - this is done by having the skull keys placed so that during the process of gathering them you must walk over a linedef that raises the hidden control sector so that the "skull key" door can open, otherwise it will raise only slightly and not be passable. The skull keys cannot inadvertently substitute for the corresponding keycards, as they are placed so that you unavoidably must have already acquired and used the same colored keycard before you can reach a given skull).

11 hours ago, Amarande said:

Also there cannot be any linedefs inside the door sector or problems also occur with the door opening. (They do not, for some reason, seem to occur with a door closing, but they will often if not always prevent it from opening. I'm not entirely sure what's going on there engine wise,

It's quite simple. Guess how does the engine find all adjancent sectors of a particular sector? It checks all linedefs that border with the sector, and determines that the sector on the other side of the linedef is adjancent. If a linedef is inside a sector, both its sides border with the same sector. Therefore, when the engine checks for an adjancent sector via this linedef, it finds the same sector, but handles it the same way as if it was any other sector. The sector's own ceiling is then considered its adjancent ceiling as well. And so, "4 units below lowest adjancent ceiling" can't possibly be any higher than 4 units below the sector's own ceiling, and so the door can't possibly raise any higher than that. This is fixed in Boom compatible ports, though.

Edited by scifista42

Usually, the cause of that is fact-o because the room you made the door for is a zero height sector.

Next time you geek out because your door isn't working, make sure you check that the room isn't a zero height sector.

I create all my doors manually. Not using prefabs.