Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
j4rio

Blocky lines

Is there any way to make monster block lines be passable (not work) for monsters that can fly (cacos, PEs, souls) for boom? Or some gimmickery to make that possible?

Just curious.

Make a thin sector (1 unit is fine) and lower its floor deep into the ground. Flying monsters will be able to cross over it, but land-bound monsters should be blocked by the dropoff.

cl9 though it's still possible to push monsters over the deep holes, or get them stuck on it, etc

esselfortium said:

Make a thin sector (1 unit is fine) and lower its floor deep into the ground. Flying monsters will be able to cross over it, but land-bound monsters should be blocked by the dropoff.

And, as an added bonus, if you want the "line" to become passable by walking enemies later on, you can raise the floor to match the sectors on either side - the dropoff is removed and monsters can walk over the sector. (This can, of course, be done the other way around to make a previously walkable area non-walkable.)

Enjay said:

And, as an added bonus, if you want the "line" to become passable by walking enemies later on, you can raise the floor to match the sectors on either side - the dropoff is removed and monsters can walk over the sector. (This can, of course, be done the other way around to make a previously walkable area non-walkable.)

Is this on the wiki somewhere? Because if it isn't it definitely should be, because it's incredibly simple to perform, and very, very useful!

schwerpunk said:

Is this on the wiki somewhere? Because if it isn't it definitely should be, because it's incredibly simple to perform, and very, very useful!

Maybe the Doomworld Editing Tutorials, but I doubt it has a place on the Wiki. There's a thread around here somewhere with a bunch of Vanilla editing tricks though.

esselfortium said:

Cool. Works perfectly as long as vanilla or limit removing, but crappy boom behavior and its pushy nature can still break that. Monsters can get stuck immobile on top of that dummy sector or pushed over it.

If it doesn't matter if the player can pass the line, you could always make a self referencing 32 tall sector so that's monsters can attack over the invisible mini wall, but cannot pass, and flying monsters aren't blocked.

Of course, I don't know how to do that, but it should work.

I assume the op is posting because he found a way to make a handrail of some sort that blocks everything except projectiles from passing and that wasn't the result he was looking for. (I say this because I don't see the practicality of esselfortiums solution in actual mapping)

That said, I think rayziks response would be most useful, even though he and I both don't use the effect often enough to explain it in a way that makes sense.

Purely by coincidence, a few days before this thread was posted, I asked an almost identical question over at the ZDoom forums and essel's solution was exactly what I needed.

Specifically, I had a minefield set up that I wanted walking enemies to not enter but flying enemies were fine because they can fly over the mines and not set them off. The narrow deep sector method did the job nicely.

40oz said:

I assume the op is posting because he found a way to make a handrail of some sort that blocks everything except projectiles from passing and that wasn't the result he was looking for. (I say this because I don't see the practicality of esselfortiums solution in actual mapping)

That said, I think rayziks response would be most useful, even though he and I both don't use the effect often enough to explain it in a way that makes sense.

Using a lowered sector instead of a raised one means the player can cross over it like normal block monster lines.