Sarge
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > Doom Editing > How to add custom text?

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 02:06. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
The Doomist

I need help changing the name of the level on the automap and the message at end of the Doom 2 level sets. (I know that you have to change the intermission level name in the wad already)Do I need DeHacked, or can I just use SLADE3?

EDIT: I use Doom 2 format.

Last edited by The Doomist on 02-21-13 at 22:06

Old Post 02-20-13 23:46 #
The Doomist is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Springy

MAPINFO is the way to go here is a link http://zdoom.org/wiki/MAPINFO and yes you can use Slade3.

Old Post 02-20-13 23:53 #
Springy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
GreyGhost
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

While MAPINFO has fewer restrictions it isn't as widely supported as DeHackEd, so you might consider using both. Just bear in mind that with DeHackEd the names and message strings can't be longer than the ones they're replacing in doom2.exe.

Old Post 02-21-13 00:13 #
GreyGhost is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Gez

The best compromise IMO is to use BEX. Then you don't have to copy the original strings anymore, and you can go hog wild on string length.

Since this is an extremely frequent topic, here's a previous thread on the subject.

Old Post 02-21-13 00:28 #
Gez is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
The Doomist

Ah crap, I forgot to mention I'm using Doom 2 format! Is MAPINFO still compatible? (Stupid me >.>)

Old Post 02-21-13 22:05 #
The Doomist is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Gez

Of course. MAPINFO stuff isn't part of the maps themselves, so the format of the maps is irrelevant.

Old Post 02-21-13 22:32 #
Gez is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
The Doomist

Thanks, guys. I'll use MAPINFO and hope I don't stumble into any messes. ;)

Old Post 02-22-13 22:52 #
PRIMEVAL

Note that MAPINFO only works with certain source ports such as G/ZDoom, Skulltag, and Zandronum.

Old Post 02-22-13 23:09 #
PRIMEVAL is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
The Doomist

Thanks for the heads up. I don't think anyone's gonna use vanilla Doom anyway.

Old Post 02-23-13 03:52 #
The Doomist

Uhhh... how exactly do I get MAPINFO? >.<

Old Post 02-23-13 04:04 #
PRIMEVAL

It's just simply a text file that you can do in Notepad. Or just add a new entry, Edit it as Text, and save it that way. Most ZDoom WADs have a MAPINFO lump in them so you can take a look at those for examples.

Old Post 02-23-13 05:49 #
PRIMEVAL is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Vermil

PRIMEVAL said:
Note that MAPINFO only works with certain source ports such as G/ZDoom, Skulltag, and Zandronum.

Though it's easy enough to write an Infine def in a DD_DEFNS lump for Doomsday and Risen3D and an EMAPINFO lump for Eternity.

Different ports just ignore lumps from other ports.

http://doomwiki.org/wiki/MAPINFO

http://eternity.youfailit.net/index.php?title=MapInfo
http://www.dengine.net/dew/index.php?title=InFine

Old Post 02-23-13 07:58 #
Vermil is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
D00Med
Banned

i think you need XWE (eXtendable Wad Editor) and Dehacked so you can us xwe to place the new dehacked lump in your custom wad with xwe. i think thats how and i have no expirence but it might work

Old Post 02-23-13 21:22 #
D00Med is offline Profile || Blog || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Gez

I'd rather recommend SLADE 3 since XWE is dead (compatibility issues with modern Windows OS; no longer maintained or updated).

Old Post 02-23-13 21:45 #