Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
andrewj

Eureka Editor - now available for Windows!

printz said:

Are generalized line types planned for next release? They're necessary for serious Boom editing.

I'm not against that idea, but I don't think it is necessary. You already have a tool for that.

Yokai said:

I'm not against that idea, but I don't think it is necessary. You already have a tool for that.

What tool? Trigcalc? That's only one-way and a pain to use (CLI menus suck). What other tool? Deth? It's DOS-based and takes time to use. Doom Builder? It's Windows-only.

Newest editor? I'll check it soon for sure.
But without UDMF support I have only an academic interest in it ((

blod said:

But without UDMF support I have only an academic interest in it ((

Is Eureka meant to replace the more robust editors out there or just complement them? A "quick and dirty map" or "something to simply test an idea for some geometry a level designer cooked up" isn't going to replace DB2. You might be able to argue for hexen format, but aren't the extra things you can do with hexen largely decorative in the quick-and-dirty sense of the word?

andrewj said:

A "free tag" feature is a good idea, and should be easy to implement.

Yes please. I'm not sure about other features, but that is a must, I lost a lot of time check back what was the last tag I used.

zZaRDoZz said:

Is Eureka meant to replace the more robust editors out there or just complement them? A "quick and dirty map" or "something to simply test an idea for some geometry a level designer cooked up" isn't going to replace DB2. You might be able to argue for hexen format, but aren't the extra things you can do with hexen largely decorative in the quick-and-dirty sense of the word?

Dirty maps?? Only mappers do dirty maps, not editors.

I'm already doing a full map with Eureka, for Doom Legacy. So far, I NEVER got a crash or a PWAD corruption or any other error. Pretty stable, easy to use and a good amount of USEFUL features.

This is how it looks like (still pretty early build status, my map I mean)

zZaRDoZz said:

Is Eureka meant to replace the more robust editors out there or just complement them? A "quick and dirty map" or "something to simply test an idea for some geometry a level designer cooked up" isn't going to replace DB2.

Will Eureka grow to be comparable to DoomBuilder (1 or 2) ?
Short answer: No.

Right now I am still concentrating on supporting vanilla DOOM as well as possible, and there is a lot remaining to be done in that sphere.

Features to support various source ports will surely come later (and BOOM is a high priority), but Eureka is never going to be the ultimate editor for (G)ZDoom, Doomsday or other advanced ports. I just don't have the time or interest for that.

If I save and don't build nodes, the BSP, reject and blockmap lumps are destroyed and left blank, and the level tag lump is misplaced, instead of being left intact.

EDIT: it may be slade's fault for some of this, so disregard temporarily.

printz said:

If I save and don't build nodes, the BSP, reject and blockmap lumps are destroyed and left blank, and the level tag lump is misplaced, instead of being left intact.

Normal editing will usually make the BSP, reject and blockmap tables invalid anyway.

I know that merely moving a thing or changing it's type, or changing a texture on a line or sector will not invalidated those lumps -- I guess I don't think it's worth the effort to keep those lumps when possible. 15 years ago it could take a long time to regenerate them, nowadays it is very quick.

I kinda doubt it's SLADE's fault with level tag lump being misplaced… What I did was use SLADE to copy E1M1 and its companions from Doom.wad to a new PWAD. I opened the PWAD in Eureka, did some non-BSP changes, saved. When I attempted to build the nodes, I even got the GLBSP error that E1M1 is not valid, and verified in SLADE that "E1M1" went to the bottom.

To be fair, I still have an older version, probably 0.95 or something slightly newer.

It is possible there is a bug when saving a level.

Revision 906 fixed some bugs in that area, and I think that was last time I've seen a level lump ordering problem. Revision 906 was before the 0.95 release though.

As I suggested in the SF forum, I think it would be interesting a toggleable option to "save + build".

Today's computers can build them in a second.

Doomtodeath said:

Its cool to see a new editor, But im not intrested. I use programs such as DoomBuilder and Slade.

Since you're on Windows, sure. But on OSX and Linux, you can't have Doom Builder 2 (there's Wine but it's still a long way).

printz said:

Since you're on Windows, sure. But on OSX and Linux, you can't have Doom Builder 2 (there's Wine but it's still a long way).

Oh, As for those users, We better spread the word. I like helping out fellow doomers. :)

Native tools are much prefered. DOSBox is fine, it has minimal dependencies and little in the way of environmental stuff you have to tinker around with (heck, it even comes preloaded with a working DOS equivalent). The other stuff, I've used before but really don't want to touch anymore.

printz said:

I kinda doubt it's SLADE's fault with level tag lump being misplaced… What I did was use SLADE to copy E1M1 and its companions from Doom.wad to a new PWAD. I opened the PWAD in Eureka, did some non-BSP changes, saved. When I attempted to build the nodes, I even got the GLBSP error that E1M1 is not valid, and verified in SLADE that "E1M1" went to the bottom.

I am relieved to say I have found and fixed the bug which could cause that.

As far as I can tell, it only occurred when saving into a wad where the level you are saving over is right at the end of the wad directory (no other lumps after it). Since Eureka normally adds a "__EUREKA" lump when it creates a new wad (e.g. with File / Export), that explains why the bug did not occur in normal usage.

Yokai said:

When will the next release will be ready? :P

It will be ready when:
(1) one major feature is finished : texture alignment commands
(2) a couple of minor features are done
(3) a handful of bugs are fixed

andrewj said:

It will be ready when:
(1) one major feature is finished : texture alignment commands
(2) a couple of minor features are done
(3) a handful of bugs are fixed

When those features will be finished? :P

BTW, Eureka binaries work perfect under Ubuntu Precise (12.04) 64bit.
Installing from the .deb package gave no errors or problems.

Keep up your good work, Sire!

Yokai said:

BTW, Eureka binaries work perfect under Ubuntu Precise (12.04) 64bit.
Installing from the .deb package gave no errors or problems.

That's good to know, thanks.

The only thing remaining to be done is that major feature, the texture alignment commands, which I'm a bit stuck on. It was going to be a LineDef mode command, but now I am thinking it should be done in 3D mode because you can hover the mouse over the exact sidedef you want to align.

I'm hoping to make a Release Candidate quite soon (before the end of August).