Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Phendrena

[Resolved] Monster Infighting [BOOM]

Yeah I am back again with another question about BOOM.
Is it possible to disable infighting in BOOM?

Thanks,

Dave

Memfis said:

I don't think so. It's possible in MBF though (-complevel 11 in prboom-plus): http://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-editing/33215-infighting-and-dehacked/

Thanks Memfis. So i can do a DeHack patch to stop them infighting, good stuff. I'll be checking that out in WhackEd later on. I'll probably end up with two versions of the map anyway, one without the Dehack for compatibility with the Slaughtermap 2013 thread and one with the Dehack patch.

Ho hum :)

Dave

Uh, if you didn't get it, that "Monsters Ignore Each Other" option isn't supported by the original Dehacked and only works in some ports that added it. It will not work in BOOM.EXE, as I understand.

Yeah i got that :)
That's why I'll do two versions of the map :)

Although I might need to rethink how I want the map to work - I have 48 teleport destinations at the edge of the map, the idea being that the monsters (over 5000 atm) swarm the player(s) from the edge of the map as they move in. Of course the buggers infight and you can loose anywhere between a quarter and third of the monsters due to the infighting. I don't unleash 5000 monsters at once, they come in waves, but it is frustrating the crap out of me tbh!!!

Dave

you could have dedicated teleporters for each monster type, so they're less likely to run encounter eachother? Or you could always just add 25% more of them or whatever to compensate for them killing eachother

idk, infighting is one of my favorite things about doom :p

Ribbiks said:

you could have dedicated teleporters for each monster type, so they're less likely to run encounter eachother? Or you could always just add 25% more of them or whatever to compensate for them killing eachother

idk, infighting is one of my favorite things about doom :p

Well, i initially spawn in 1000 Zombies and I lose loads of them infighting with each other (that's just basic grunts and not shotgunners or chaingunners) and they spawn through all 48 of the teleport destinations in order to spread them out (although looking at the pathing using IDDT is quite interesting as they trundle across the map). I really want this map to work,i really do as i think it'll be quite fun to play plus I have a small backstory worked out!!! :)

Dave

Btw...
I don't mind infighting but loosing so many of the buggers to it is frustrating :)

I thought a screenshot might give you an idea where the buggers are coming from....

You can clearly see all the spawn zones around the outer of the map - the two black rings that have been sub-divided. The inner ring are where most things will spawn while the outer ring is where anything flying will spawn. There's just over 1000 of the monsters plodding along in that pic!!!

The map is not complete btw, lots too add yet :)

Dave