Archvile
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > Doom Editing > Midi creation?

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 14:19. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Jimi

What are some good midi sequencer programs? At the moment I have Reason, but it's not exactly midi.. it can export to midi, but all instruments are set to sound like the piano. So, at least I'd need some program to change the instruments.

I have tried Fruityloops for that changing, but seems a bit too expensive for just changing a bunch of midi instruments.

--

Then where can I get some soundfont that sounds like the OPL emulation in Chocolate, etc? I found some OPL3 soundfont, but that wasn't the same. I'd like the editor and game sound the same.

Old Post 03-28-13 13:47 #
Jimi is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
BaronOfStuff

You can try Anvil Studio (which is free), or Guitar Pro 5 (or whatever version it's at now, I only have GP5).

As for soundfonts, I can't say I know of any. I don't know why so many people get a hard-on over that OPL sound either; it can make a well-constructed MIDI with various instruments sound like a load of shit.

Old Post 03-28-13 14:33 #
BaronOfStuff is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Obsidian

I got recommended Sekaiju by Esselfortium when I was asking about a good program to use: it's fairly simple to use once you set it on English and not Japanese. :P

Old Post 03-28-13 22:34 #
Obsidian is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Gez
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

Jimi said:
I found some OPL3 soundfont, but that wasn't the same.

It's never going to be the same; especially for music like Doom's which used their own programmed instruments (with the GENMIDI lump) instead of leaving the registers to their default settings.

If you want to hear to an OPL rendition of a MIDI, use OPL emulation (or a genuine OPL chip).

Old Post 03-29-13 14:47 #
Gez is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
esselfortium
A Major Doomworld Concern

If you're comfortable enough with Reason's sequencer, you could do what I do. Get a soundfont with the SoundCanvas instruments, compose in Reason with those loaded in NN-XTs, export to midi, and then use Sekaiju to set the instrument channels, mixing, and instruments when you're done.

Old Post 03-29-13 19:51 #
esselfortium is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Jimi

Thanks for the program tips. Looks like they'll work ok.

Mmm.. I guess I'll just have to play the songs ingame every now and then to get a better idea how they sound like in OPL emulation.

Old Post 03-30-13 00:39 #
Jimi is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Lippeth

If you don't mind spending a bit of cash, AND own an Apple computer, Logic Pro is designed for midi. It's not the most user-friendly to get a midi project set up, but once it is, smooth sailing. If for some reason you or anyone decides to use Logic, I can explain how to set it up.

Old Post 04-03-13 20:41 #
Lippeth is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Kappes Buur
Forum Regular

ACID Music Studio is quite good.

Old Post 04-03-13 23:53 #
Kappes Buur is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote