Icon of Sin / Baphomet
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > Doom Editing > about adding textures to pwads

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 22:36. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
pablogener
Mini-Member

I feel this is much a newbie question, but I need to seriously get it right, if I'm to implement it on my maps.
Can I borrow a graphic from the IWAD, using SLADE, then change it a bit (say, spray it with 'blood'...) and save that into my pwad, so I can choose it in Doom Builder as textures for my walls?
anyway, how would I achieve that?

thanks for all the help.
cheers.

Old Post 04-06-13 20:42 #
pablogener is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Gez
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

Typically, you'd export the texture to a file, modify it, then import that file as a new entry, select it, convert it to Doom patch format, and choose "add to TEXTUREx"; importing if needed the textures and patch tables from the base resource archive, which would previously set accordingly (doom2.wad for a Doom II mod, doom.wad for a Ultimate Doom mod, etc.).

For some ports such as ZDoom, you can simply import the modified file between a TX_START and a TX_END lump. You can also skip the conversion step if it's in a supported image format already.

Old Post 04-06-13 23:48 #
Gez is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
GreyGhost

pablogener said:
Can I borrow a graphic from the IWAD, using SLADE, then change it a bit (say, spray it with 'blood'...) and save that into my pwad
If the 'blood' patches (to borrow your example) have transparent backgrounds, another option is to learn the black art of texture lump editing and create new textures that way, instead of filling your PWAD with modified IWAD graphics.

Old Post 04-07-13 01:57 #
GreyGhost is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
pablogener
Mini-Member

I tried 'exporting' the textures in PNG format, from slade, but seems I'm missing a pngout.exe file that didn't come along SLADE.... would anybody know what/where that is? anyway, it's a nice idea, creating a 'patch' with the blood splat and 'patch up' other textures with that to create the effect of bloody walls.

Old Post 04-07-13 02:04 #
pablogener is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
GreyGhost

If you're using the official v3.0.2 release I'd suggest you replace it with an SVN build. As for blood splats, they were used to create a number of textures in TNT.WAD, it'd be worth your while to take a look at how it's done and maybe borrow the patches for your wad.

Old Post 04-07-13 03:08 #
GreyGhost is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Gez

pablogener said:
I tried 'exporting' the textures in PNG format, from slade, but seems I'm missing a pngout.exe file that didn't come along SLADE....

Exporting isn't optimizing. You don't need pngout to export.

Old Post 04-07-13 10:05 #
Gez is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote