Reaper Grimm
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > Doom Editing > EDGE + .png flats? [SOLVED]

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 14:12. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
ComicMischief

Simply put, I want to use 64x64 .png graphics as flats. I'm aware that putting transparency/translucency in such things is possibly a terrible idea but I want it for the potential colour range; or rather, to easily get cartoony colours without wrestling with a palette.

I'm working on this kind of aesthetic (see, the sprite and the skyline):

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v469/jayextee/shot03_zps6f3ce731.png

I've made the sky work by putting a .png named SKY1 in between TX_START and TX_END (and I presume this is going to work on sidedef textures too) but .png flats don't seem to work, which is a shame.

Can EDGE do this at all?

Last edited by ComicMischief on 04-28-13 at 12:22

Old Post 04-27-13 21:50 #
ComicMischief is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
ComicMischief

Might I add (for those who like to ignore the body-text of a post and pick at the minutiae), that the sprite is a placeholder from an old pixel-test and something more in line with the sky will be used eventually.

Old Post 04-27-13 21:53 #
ComicMischief is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
andrewj

EDGE can do it, you can probably just put your PNG flat images between TX_START and TX_END and use those names as flats (assuming your editor can cope with that).

Otherwise you need to define the flats in a DDFIMAGE lump.

DDFIMAGE is a text lump and should look something like this:

code:
<IMAGES> #VERSION 1.35 [flat:MYFLAT1] image_data = LUMP:PNG:"MYFLAT1"; [flat:MYFLAT2] image_data = LUMP:PNG:"MYFLAT2";

Old Post 04-28-13 02:21 #
andrewj is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
ComicMischief

I didn't know you could stick them in the TX_START/TX_END section, I guess my decades-old editing knowledge was still assuming them to be handled differently by the engine. It worked like a charm.

Thank you so much. :)

Old Post 04-28-13 12:23 #