Baron of Hell
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > Doom Editing > Can I write to file? (Decorate / ACS)

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 16:29. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Doggo120
Mini-Member

Hello hello!!!

I'm just wondering if it possible to write values to a .txt file (or any other file) via Decorate, ACS or something. Let's say I want to store a value that I want to retrieve after the player closes ZDoom.

Also, can I execute a program (.exe) from ZDoom too? I really forgot why I would want this but yeah, though I throw it in here too.

Thanks and love! hoho

Old Post 04-30-13 21:07 #
Doggo120 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Gez
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

No; you cannot access the filesystem from a ZDoom mod*. That means no writing or reading files, and certainly no running external programs. The latter especially has no chance of being accepted by the developers:

1. Legitimate uses of such a feature would be not guaranteed to work: "The mod tries to run WindowsProgram.exe, but I use Mac OS/Linux"
2. Abusive uses of such a feature could cause serious damage to one's system: "My antivirus complains about a trojan in the pk3!"

* Exception: you can force an autosave to be written.

Old Post 04-30-13 22:57 #
Gez is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Doggo120
Mini-Member

Ohhhhhhh.... Snap! Blam! Shazam!

Ok, thank you Gez, now I need to kill myself...
Haha kidding :)

Old Post 05-01-13 02:14 #
Doggo120 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
gggmork
If you can make any sense of this post, congratulations

I was wondering about this earlier and considering making this same topic. My situation was in ACS; pressing spacebar generated randomish architecture on a grid of squares. So I'd maybe want to keep pressing spacebar until something interesting looking appeared, then "save" that particular data for reuse somehow.

There might be a way, but didn't try: What about when you exit zdoom there's a window that says all the stuff that happened in game apparently.. like "bla picked up a stimpack" and such. So maybe if you print a big array of data, all the values will appear in that window and maybe you can copy/paste from there or something?

Old Post 05-02-13 15:06 #
gggmork is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
GreyGhost
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

gggmork said:
There might be a way, but didn't try: What about when you exit zdoom there's a window that says all the stuff that happened in game apparently.. like "bla picked up a stimpack" and such. So maybe if you print a big array of data, all the values will appear in that window and maybe you can copy/paste from there or something?
The console history can be saved automatically if you have logging enabled in autoexec.cfg, whether you can get your array data to appear there in a meaningful form is another matter.

Old Post 05-02-13 16:19 #
GreyGhost is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
gggmork
If you can make any sense of this post, congratulations

GreyGhost said:
The console history can be saved automatically if you have logging enabled in autoexec.cfg, whether you can get your array data to appear there in a meaningful form is another matter.

I just tried and it actually works (print () makes stuff appear in the console), didn't try the autoexec.cfg portion of that yet but seems like the right next step to take, thanks.

So now I don't have to devise some morse code scheme by alternately picking up armored bonuses and health bonuses or something..

Old Post 05-02-13 21:20 #
gggmork is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote