Cacodemon
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > Doom Editing > A.Gamma's UDMF bag of questions!

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 21:03. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
A.Gamma

Is there a way for a door made with polyobjects (either sliding or swinging) to stay open? I'm mapping on UDMF.

Last edited by A.Gamma on 05-06-13 at 04:44

Old Post 05-01-13 10:38 #
A.Gamma is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
sawd
Warming Up

I think you should use Polyobject Move or Polyobject Rotate instead (the difference is like this between door open and door raise I suppose).

Old Post 05-01-13 13:12 #
sawd is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
A.Gamma

I figured that instead of making a new thread I will change the title of this one and post my questions here.

Anyway, is there a way to key lock a door made with polyobjects? I read somewhere that in UDMF a lock can be given to any special, but I can't find how to this. Help will be much appreciated.

@Sawd, sorry for the late response, while simple your advice was extremely useful, so thanks a lot.

Old Post 05-06-13 04:48 #
A.Gamma is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Gez
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

A.Gamma said:
Anyway, is there a way to key lock a door made with polyobjects? I read somewhere that in UDMF a lock can be given to any special, but I can't find how to this. Help will be much appreciated.

Set the locknumber property to the lockdefs number.
http://zdoom.org/wiki/Linedef#UDMF_properties

Old Post 05-06-13 09:28 #
Gez is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
A.Gamma

Gez said:

Set the locknumber property to the lockdefs number.
http://zdoom.org/wiki/Linedef#UDMF_properties

I'm sorry, but I can't find where to set these linedef properties on Doom Builder.

Old Post 05-07-13 07:01 #
Kappes Buur
Forum Regular

Gez directed you to the ZDoom WIKI, where you will find the line for locknumber

http://i.imgur.com/dJVVt5l.png

which in turn directs you to LOCKDEFS.

All this means is that, in the editor, you have to give the linedef a locknumber

http://i.imgur.com/upbfJM7.png

Then in SLADE3 make a LOCKDEFS lump (in plain text) to specify the lock.
The examples given in the WIKI are a good guide.

Old Post 05-07-13 08:02 #
Kappes Buur is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
A.Gamma

Kappes Buur said:
Gez directed you to the ZDoom WIKI, where you will find the line for locknumber
[pic]
which in turn directs you to LOCKDEFS.

All this means is that, in the editor, you have to give the linedef a locknumber
[pic]
Then in SLADE3 make a LOCKDEFS lump (in plain text) to specify the lock.
The examples given in the WIKI are a good guide.

Yeah I figured as much, my problem is that I can't find the locknumber property on Doom builder

http://i.imgur.com/9UrD4CW.png

Old Post 05-07-13 09:13 #
Xaser
Forum Staple

Add it, then. That "Click to add custom field" part isn't just for decoration. ;)

DB2 does seem to lack a couple of defined zdoom-UDMF properties (the "hidden" sector flag comes to mind), but the nice part is that you can always add them yourself since UDMF's all nice and extensible like that.

Old Post 05-07-13 09:17 #
Xaser is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
A.Gamma

It works!
I added it following Kappes Buur screenshot and I'm using the yellow key (3) as a value.

I find it kind of dumb that DB2 does not has something so useful by default.

Old Post 05-07-13 09:35 #
Kappes Buur
Forum Regular

Good show.

Just a suggestion - use GZDoombuilder, it is more update and has many more functions.

While the name has a G at the beginning, that does not mean that it is only for GZDoom.

Old Post 05-07-13 09:45 #
Kappes Buur is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
A.Gamma

Kappes Buur said:
Good show.

Just a suggestion - use GZDoombuilder, it is more update and has many more functions.

While the name has a G at the beginning, that does not mean that it is only for GZDoom.

Downloaded it and I'm currently using it. Pretty cool stuff, seeing 3D floors ind the editor is incredibly useful. Also locknumber comes already defined!.

One thing though, can I add format definitions like I would on good ol' DB2?

Last edited by A.Gamma on 05-07-13 at 10:26

Old Post 05-07-13 10:19 #
Gez

Of course.

Old Post 05-07-13 10:41 #
Gez is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
A.Gamma

Sleepy me said:

...One thing though, can I add format definitions like I would on good ol' DB2?

Oh dear, I should stop posting while half-asleep.

Anyway, seeing how many things can been done on UDMF I wondered, is there a way to make a door that won't open on competitive multiplayer modes?

Old Post 05-08-13 02:28 #
Gez

Yes, but you'll need ACS for that. Have the door's activating linedefs activate a script (80: ACS_Execute) instead of one of the usual door specials. In that script, use GameType to detect the game mode. In single player or coop, open the door, in deathmatch, do nothing.

Alternatively, give the door's activating linedefs a unique line ID, and have an OPEN script checking the GameType to erase their specials when playing in deathmatch, using SetLineSpecial (id, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0).

Old Post 05-08-13 09:42 #
A.Gamma

Is there a way to make a door that opens both up and down at the same time a la Duke?

Also, forgot to thank Gez last time, so thanks Gez!

Old Post 05-11-13 09:45 #
Gez

A.Gamma said:
Is there a way to make a door that opens both up and down at the same time a la Duke?

Yep. You can try using Pillar_Open and Pillar_Build.

Old Post 05-11-13 10:37 #
A.Gamma

Gez said:

Yep. You can try using Pillar_Open and Pillar_Build.

Hey that's awesome! Though I figure I will have to make a script to make them open and then close right?

Old Post 05-12-13 07:15 #
Gez

Yes.

Old Post 05-12-13 08:59 #
A.Gamma

Hi there, I was wondering of there was a way to make Build style deep water.

Making deep water is simple enough but when you're inside a pool you will automatically submerge, this does not happen on the Build games, there you won't submerge unless you press the crouch/swim down key, so I was wondering, is there a way to replicate this effect on UDMF?

Old Post 05-23-13 21:30 #
Gez

That's more a gameplay feature than a map feature.

Old Post 05-24-13 00:04 #
A.Gamma

True, but still if there is anyway to replicate it I figure it would be easier on UDMF (also too lazy to start another thread just for such a simple question :P).

Old Post 05-24-13 02:12 #
gemini09

I have a question

I have a 32,000 x 32,000 large landscape sector.

I have GZDoomBuilder and I've set the sector to use Fadecolor. However, I would like for actors inside this landscape-sector to be exempt from this Fadecolor effect. Is that possible?

Further more, is it possible to set a separate Fadecolor/ or Sectorcolor for just actors? This one I doubt, but it would be useful if it could be done easily :)

also, what is the best way to maintain the same Fadecolor atmosphere in all sectors under/ within this landscape sector? I mean with "Child sectors" such as crates.

Last edited by gemini09 on 05-26-13 at 19:10

Old Post 05-25-13 18:03 #
gemini09 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
gemini09

hello folks.

did anyone see my question right ^^ there?

gemini09 said:
what is the best way to maintain the same Fadecolor atmosphere in all sectors under/ within this landscape sector? I mean with "Child sectors" such as crates.

Old Post 05-27-13 10:36 #
gemini09 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Gez

To start with, 32k x 32k is too large. You risk getting overruns in distance checks.

To answer the question, I don't know if it's possible to make actors not subject to sector fade.

Also, if the surrounding sector has properties, then all sectors you create inside should inherit those properties when you create it in DB2. (If you create an unconnected sector, on the other hand, it'll have default properties.)

Old Post 05-27-13 12:38 #
gemini09

Thanks.

I wish the map size capacity could be increased. Personally I wouldn't mind! :)

Is it possible to attach the Fadecolor (in GZDB2: Sector properties->Custom->Fadecolor) to F_SKY? Or in another, similar fashion that you would recommend? I'm unsure of what the most practical method is.

Old Post 05-27-13 12:59 #