Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
UnknownToaster

Door not working properly

I'm sorry and I regret having to come here to ask about get a basic door to work, but I've exhausted all I know about it.

Now for some information, the door is set up identically to all the other doors in my map, which all work fine.

The linedefs have sector tags that correspond with the sector I want to act as a door.

The ceiling height is lowered fully to the floor, the floors around it are the same height. The lines are also facing outwards.

Those are all the basic things I know to check, and from what I have seen, it is entirely the same as my other doors. I'm currently mapping in UDMF format with Doom Builder 2. I actually originally made in Doom 2 format, then converted to Hexen format, then converted to UDMF. The door actually never worked in any of those formats (not that I changed formats to fix my door) while the rest of my doors did continue to work after the conversion.

Now that I've given all the information I know to be useful, I will show two pictures. One of the door, one to show where the door is in my map so as to find it, then I will include the wad in case it is needed to find the problem.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3623911/Door1.png
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3623911/Door2.png
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3623911/ThankYouForHelping.zip

The zip file contains my wad file, and both of the images above for convenience.

I'm sure the problem is something simple and a silly oversight on my part, but for the life of me I do no know what it is. To be clear, if it's not obvious already, this is the first level I've made so I'm not great with this yet, I know only the very basics.

Thank you very much for reading this, I do appreciate.
Hopefully I can get an answer to this mystery. :)

Again, thank you.

Also, if there is any more information you need that I haven't given, I'll be sure to provide it on request!

Uhh, maybe I'm missing something but are you sure you added door action to the correct lines? The door should be sector 163, right?

yeah, you have the actions/tags on the wrong sector (164), which is the one right below the intended door sector (163)

Memfis said:

Uhh, maybe I'm missing something but are you sure you added door action to the correct lines? The door should be sector 163, right?

Ribbiks said:

yeah, you have the actions/tags on the wrong sector (164), which is the one right below the intended door sector (163)

Oh wow, you two are absolutely right. I can't believe I've been looking at the wrong sector this whole time. I need to make my sectors clearer.

Thank you both very much. I knew it had to be a simple oversight on my part. Thanks again!

EDIT: I'm sorry, seems I'm still having trouble with the door now that I have the right sector. I'm not sure what it is I'm doing wrong now..

Da Werecat said:

Thou shalt not make walls out of sectors with zero/negative height. Unrelated, but still.

I'm not sure I understand. I think you're saying I've made walls by lowering the ceiling down, which I believe I have done (with exception of doors) but I had thought I changed those. I may simply have misunderstood your meaning. Though, thank you for replying, because any chance to learn is time well spent.

Here is my wad now that I believe I have changed the door to the proper sector. I found one other problem in that I had the line to activate the door to walk over but I changed it to when player activates with use. Unfortunately, that didn't seem to be my only issue. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3623911/Thank%20You%20For%20Helping2.wad

Again, I'm sorry to be coming here with what seems like such a small trivial issue, I don't wish to waste any ones time. Again, I appreciate the help.

EDIT 2: I fixed my door. I compared all the values and some how managed to not realize the movement speed and close delay were both 0. It works now. Thanks a lot to those who helped! I would still be having issues if you guys hadn't pointed out that sector problem. :)