Doom monster
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > Doom Editing > Lowering custom sound quality?

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 00:02. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
NerdKoopa

I'm currently in the early stages of a project that will eventually require custom sounds. However, the sounds that I intend on using are much higher quality than the original Doom sounds. What would be the best way of lowering their quality just enough that they would not sound out of place with the stock sounds? I'm not very familiar with Audacity and audio editing in general.

Old Post 07-23-13 19:11 #
NerdKoopa is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
scifista42

.wav ?

Old Post 07-23-13 19:20 #
scifista42 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Patch93

In Audacity there should be something called "Project Rate" in the lower left corner of the window, you can use that to lower the quality to 11025hz.

Old Post 07-23-13 19:59 #
Patch93 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
GreyGhost
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

Lay your hands on a copy of the Windows XP Sound Recorder (there's a links around here somewhere) and use that instead, it has more features than its successors.
  • Load your sound sample and select "Properties" from the File menu
  • Leave format conversion at "All Formats" and click on Convert Now...
  • Under Name, select "Radio Quality" or "Telephone Quality" (most Doom sounds are Telephone Quality), leave the format at "PCM" and click OK
  • The Properties window should have updated size and format details, click OK
  • Test the changes and Save As... (give the sample a new name) if satisfied. Otherwise, select "Revert" from the File menu and try again

Old Post 07-24-13 03:20 #
GreyGhost is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote