Demon
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > Doom Editing > Musicians, what do you compose Doom music with?

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 14:09. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
plums

I'm a decent amateur musician but I don't really work with MIDI at all. If I wanted to start composing music for Doom engine games, what software should I look at? Preferably something free or very cheap, and not sheet music notation. I use tracker software a lot but my experience has been that it doesn't convert to MIDI files all that well. What do other people here use?

e: Windows or Linux.

Last edited by plums on 09-29-13 at 08:58

Old Post 09-29-13 08:45 #
plums is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Bucket
ROCK & LOAD
COCK BEEN BLOWED
IN YOUR MOUTH,
MANJUICE EXPLOAD

If you want free MIDI composing software for Windows, try Anvil Studio. The Linux equivalent is Rosegarden.

Old Post 09-29-13 09:03 #
Bucket is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Obsidian

Esselfortium recommended me this when I asked: it's a pretty good program when you set it to English. :P

Old Post 09-29-13 09:19 #
Obsidian is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Jimmy
doesn't rhyme with MIDI :(

Cakewalk Express 3.02 still.

Watch me do work here.

Jimmy's Blog of Death - I make terrible posts here.

Old Post 09-29-13 09:38 #
Jimmy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
plums

I can rarely watch twitch streams unless they're embedded, for some reason. It's been on my list of things to figure out for some time. Cakewalk Express 3 is pretty fitting for composing Doom music though.

I'll check out Anvil and Sekaiju, those look like a promising start. Rosegarden and I did not get along very well when I tried it last, but that was a little while ago.

Old Post 09-29-13 09:57 #
plums is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Eris Falling
Forum Staple

I use Anvil. Can be very limiting though at times.

Old Post 09-29-13 10:01 #
Eris Falling is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
yakfak

I'm stuck using an ancient copy of Cubasis from before the time of VST :3 I wouldn't recommend it, though, since if you want to add anything but notes (ie. volume or pitch slides) you have to open a fiddly list editor and input them individually while remembering your twenty-four times table.

edit: since you're a tracker musician already you might be interested in the fact that zDoom can accept .mod, .it, .xm and .s3m lumps.

Old Post 09-29-13 12:04 #
yakfak is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Doggo120
Mini-Member

I love FlStudio. U can do almost everything in it! (Including MIDI).
Guitar Pro is cool too. But most likely you would have to start messing around with tablatures or scores, that's how they work. Once you know the symbols and specially the drum sounds, you're pretty much good to go.

Have fun!

Old Post 09-29-13 18:03 #
Doggo120 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Kotzugi

Anybody around who makes music for Doom and similar games on a Mac? What software do you use? I've found this resource which seems quite useful.

Old Post 09-30-13 16:55 #
Kotzugi is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
plums

Yakfak: I did know that ZDoom accepts a bajillion music formats, and might make use of that at some point. Still it's nice to be able to create files usable in any port. Also I'm interested in trying pure MIDI music, because you only have to worry about the notes ;)

Doggo120: Tab software is something I hadn't thought of, I do play guitar (and tab notation is really easy anyhow), and I can read sheet music, just slowly. Maybe worth investigating. Thanks!

Old Post 09-30-13 23:54 #
Egregor

NM

Old Post 10-02-13 05:47 #
Egregor is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
nicolas monti

I use Cakewalk Pro Audio 9
it's old but easy to use and it has everything that you need in order to compose your midis. for the drums you have to set the track's channel to number 10 (dunno why XD).

Old Post 10-02-13 06:29 #
nicolas monti is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote