Cacodemon
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > Doom Editing > Allowing a foe to destroy obstacles between it and you?

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 22:15. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
MetroidJunkie

I don't want to necessarily have it target the obstacle as a direct enemy, just that it tries to go on a straight path directly to you and, if it's obstructed by a destructible object, it attacks the object to break it. (Edit: Yeah, it was ZDoom)

Last edited by MetroidJunkie on 10-06-13 at 14:58

Old Post 10-05-13 03:45 #
MetroidJunkie is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Memfis
Forum Spammer

Do you think you could make the obstacles do very little damage to the monsters that come close to them? And somehow ensure that the monster will always switch his target when hit by an obstacle. Might look goofy though (blood will appear and sometimes the monster will go into a pain state or even die for no reason) but maybe there are ways to avoid this? I just don't know too much about ZDoom editing.

Old Post 10-06-13 02:46 #
Memfis is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
plums

ZDoom I assume?

The first idea that comes to mind it to make destructable objects use A_RadiusGive to give out CustomInvetory items to very nearby monsters, and have monsters that get that item immediately attack the object that spawns it.

You could probably also do something with Thing_Hate if you don't mind using scripting. Fine for a set of custom levels, less good for a general-purpose mod.

Old Post 10-06-13 03:24 #
plums is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Dragonsbrethren

You could always do the old a_vilechase trick from Batman Doom and make the obstacles' raise states them being destroyed. Should work fine as long as you isolate resurrectable monsters from this enemy.

Old Post 10-06-13 04:12 #
Dragonsbrethren is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
printz
CRAZY DUMB ZEALOT

Oh man, the contrived measures you have to apply to emulate normal Doom 3 behaviourů

Old Post 10-06-13 08:09 #
printz is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
MetroidJunkie

Someone on another forum suggested having it fire projectiles as it walks. I was thinking I could have it constantly fire invisible projectiles that die after a very short distance so it can only hit what's directly infront of it with the projectile using custom damage that only harms the obstruction. Thanks for the alternative suggestions, though, I'll keep them in mind if the projectile one doesn't work.

Old Post 10-06-13 14:48 #
MetroidJunkie is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote