Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
scifista42

Monsters from an old repository site? Any alternatives to Realm667?

Today I've discovered this old site:

http://haunt.8m.com/beastiary/index.html

Many of the monsters there look pretty neat, just take a look at the different categories. And look at the names subscribed under them - NiGHTMARE, Nanami, Enjay...

There are surprisingly no download links there. Which is a real shame, because - many of these monsters are not at all on today's Realm667! Somewhere on the site there is written that all needed to submit a monster was one front-angle sprite. But as most of them have written statistics (HP, speed...), I believe those monsters EXISTED in a complete .wad form. Where are they now?

I'd actually really like to put my hands on the Pistol Trooper (or Dual Pistol Trooper) from that site, which is just a slightly different skin for a zombieman. I am looking for different sprite sets for zombies, imps and some cyber creatures. Realm667 has proven to be pretty good, but are there any alternative Doom content repositories?

For me in particular, sprites would be enough. DEHACKED/DECORATE is something I can create myself. But I'd like to not center this thread around me, and rather to get answers on the general questions I raised, so all people can know.

I would bet a buck and a half those sprites are not complete sets but just the one displayed sprite, which is why you don't find them anywhere else.

That site was specifically for monster concepts and "frankensprites" of things that people would like to see. It was never intended to be a repository of functional monsters with full sprite sets.

Sad thing that they're only to see them, or at least i can't download anything but the single sprite :-P

There are good ideas there, i really like that page, i think i saw it before.

scifista42 said:

I'd actually really like to put my hands on the Pistol Trooper (or Dual Pistol Trooper) from that site, which is just a slightly different skin for a zombieman. I am looking for different sprite sets for zombies, imps and some cyber creatures. Realm667 has proven to be pretty good, but are there any alternative Doom content repositories?

Have you tried the Epidermus Emporium? They're actually player skins for Legacy but could be re-purposed with a bit of DECORATE scripting.

Holy shit, I forgot about this site.

The cyberdemon guardian was a huge inspiration (if not a blatant ripoff) for the Haymaker monster I made in UAC Ultra 1. Unfortunately I was an idiot with sprite editing and I was too impatient to fine tune every Cyberdemon Maulotaur hybrid frame, so it became more convenient for me to combine the Maulotaur's lunging frames with the cybie's top half than to match the footsteps together, because they animate quite differently.

sector666 said:

Am I the only one that thinks the Vileus from that first site is actually pretty good?

Nope, I reckon that one's got potential as well. I really wish the Decayed Imp was finished too. :(