Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Cynical

Vile jump height in units?

Does anyone know what the maximum height of a Vile jump is, in units? I can't find it anywhere, and it's hard to actually test whether a set of bars is high enough to prevent one.

According to the Community Chest 4 rules and guidelines thread, Arch-vile attacks launch you 32 units in the air (64 in ZDoom based ports).

Considering that you can move on to ledges 24 units higher than where you're standing, I'd imagine an Arch-vile attack can get you on to a 56 unit tall ledge (88 in ZDoom based ports).

Doom_user said:

Arch-vile attacks launch you 32 units in the air

I'm pretty sure it's 48.

Also worth noting that you can do multiple steps while in the air. In my UV Speed demo on avj map02 I get from 0 to 80 in one jump.

edit: interesting post where RjY claims that it might be possible to jump higher than 72 even without the middle step trick - http://www.doomworld.com/vb/post/936023

That thread explains that it's 55 units, and you can still add the stepheight of 24 to that for a maximum climb of 79 units.

But I've never ever heard of anyone doing a jump higher than 72 without middle step so I'm skeptical about RjY's claim... Even the author of Arch-Vile Jump megawad said that 72 is the maximum and he probably did like 23526117 arch-vile jumps while testing it.

I can verify that 79 is perfectly possible. It's tricky though, because your parabolic (?) jump trajectory puts you high enough just for a brief moment. At this moment you still have to possess some forward momentum, meaning you need to "touch" the wall just as you're at the peak of the jump. If the collision comes too soon, you'll be robbed of all your momentum and you'll just travel the rest of the way directly up and down.