Doom monster
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > Doom Editing > Editing my first DECORATE script, what do you edit with?
 
Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 21:09. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
invictius
Forum Regular


Posts: 681
Registered: 03-06


Editing with SLADE is a bit annoying for me because 2/3rds of the screen are taken up by wad list and contents (can be shrunk down I know) but are there any text editors in particular that are your choice for something like this? I'm thinking of notepad++ but was wondering if there was one that made editing as easy as possible - keeping in mind that it's easy for me to lose track of what I'm meant to be doing due to all this being new to me.

Old Post 12-26-13 13:35 #
invictius is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
BaronOfStuff
Senior Member


Posts: 1365
Registered: 06-08


So... you don't really want to use the best two options available? I don't know why you wouldn't use SLADE; you're editing the lump directly and save time on repetitive dicking around importing the same text file over and over again.

PROTIP: Right-click a line in Notepad++ to mark it.

Old Post 12-26-13 13:42 #
BaronOfStuff is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
invictius
Forum Regular


Posts: 681
Registered: 03-06



BaronOfStuff said:
So... you don't really want to use the best two options available? I don't know why you wouldn't use SLADE; you're editing the lump directly and save time on repetitive dicking around importing the same text file over and over again.

PROTIP: Right-click a line in Notepad++ to mark it.



Hadn't considered the convenience of SLADE.

Old Post 12-26-13 14:04 #
invictius is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
scifista42
Forum Staple


Posts: 2663
Registered: 05-12



invictius said:
Editing with SLADE is a bit annoying for me because 2/3rds of the screen are taken up by wad list and contents (can be shrunk down I know)
Shrink it down. In my SLADE, 1/6 of the screen is covered by file list, 1/3 by wad content list and the remaining 1/2 by the text editor/image viewer field. I usually don't need wider text editor, but whenever I do, I just shrink the file list or the content list temporarily.

I wouldn't wan't to edit DECORATE and similar lumps anyhow else than directly in the wad, using SLADE. Unless I'm working with .pk3, then I use simple notepad.

Old Post 12-26-13 14:18 #
scifista42 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Blue Shadow
Member


Posts: 307
Registered: 09-12


A tip: double clicking a text lump will open said lump in its own tab and will make the text editor's window cover the whole width of SLADE's window.

Old Post 12-26-13 16:40 #
Blue Shadow is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
IMX
Junior Member


Posts: 117
Registered: 09-13



Blue Shadow said:
A tip: double clicking a text lump will open said lump in its own tab and will make the text editor's window cover the whole width of SLADE's window.


This, and also it is quite hard not to acknowledge this, since sometimes you accidentally can double-click a lump when you just wanted to select it


invictius said:
...keeping in mind that it's easy for me to lose track of what I'm meant to be doing due to all this being new to me.


So that's it. Just take more time to get used to edit stuff in SLADE, that's all.

Old Post 12-26-13 19:49 #
IMX is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
All times are GMT. The time now is 21:09. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
 
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > Doom Editing > Editing my first DECORATE script, what do you edit with?

Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

 

Forum Rules:
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is OFF
vB code is ON
Smilies are OFF
[IMG] code is ON
 

< Contact Us - Doomworld >

Powered by: vBulletin Version 2.2.5
Copyright ©2000, 2001, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.