Spider Mastermind
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > Doom Editing > SLADE Doesn't Work Well With JPEG Format Images

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 20:19. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
ReX

I've tried both the official version (3.02) and the latest beta (3.10) and I can't see JPEG format images in the texture editor. The textures appear in the list of wad lumps (and in-game), but they just don't get displayed in SLADE's texture editor.

I have many jpeg format textures in the wad but outside the "standard" markers (e.g., patches & flats), and have defined them in a TEXTURES lump. These do not get displayed when I am in the texture editing mode.

Also, I have tried inserting a jpeg image between the P_START& P_END markers to indicate that it is a patch, added it to the P_NAMES lump to assign it a patch ID, and added it to the TEXTURE1 lump to create a texture. Unfortunately, I get the error message:

"Patch PWALL1 is of type "Graphic (JPEG)", which is not a valid gfx format for patches. Convert it to either Doom Gfx or PNG"

In other words, I can't save my changes to the TEXTURE1 definitions. unless I first convert the JPEG image into DooM Gfx format.

Basically, it will not let me work natively with JPEG format graphics, and I wasn't sure if there is a work-around.

Old Post 01-05-14 20:49 #
ReX is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
sirjuddington
Slade doesn't mean what it used to

That's because jpeg currently isn't set as a valid format for patches. It's pretty simple to change - in slade.pk3 there is 'config/entry_types/types_gfx_std.txt', in the jpeg type change 'extra = image;' to 'extra = image, patch;'.

I'll set this as default for the next beta/version.

Old Post 01-06-14 05:56 #
sirjuddington is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
ReX

sirjuddington said:
That's because jpeg currently isn't set as a valid format for patches. It's pretty simple to change - in slade.pk3 there is 'config/entry_types/types_gfx_std.txt', in the jpeg type change 'extra = image;' to 'extra = image, patch;'.

I'll set this as default for the next beta/version.

Excellent! Thanks for the prompt and precise reply.

Old Post 01-06-14 18:46 #
ReX is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote