Demon
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > Doom Editing > Which MIDI Composition/Editing Software to use?

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 08:57. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Zakurum

I have been searching for quite some time for a good MIDI writing/editing program in order to create or remix MIDIs for DooM (especially for OPL Synth). Unfortunately, the MIDI software I've been finding so far has had some complicated interfaces which seem very inefficient. In addition to some strange interfaces, I've found that MIDI importation with the majority of software I've used has resulted in the MIDIs not only losing their Percussion, but the rhythms/beats seem to desync from the original and become choppy and awkward.

The question: Which MIDI writing programs are best for such a job and could be recommended?

The software I've worked with so far (Guitar Pro 5, Anvil Studio, NoteWorthy, Finale) has been staff editing software since I am used to that format. However, I would not mind learning of another interface. So far I've been mainly using Guitar Pro 5 since its interface seems to be the easiest to work with. Unfortunately, the program likes to crash (it doesn't help that my error messages are in another language - can't even copy-paste for translations...) and MIDI importation, as I said, tends to butcher the imported MIDIs and change the Percussion track to a Piano.

Old Post 01-18-14 07:35 #
Zakurum is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Foxpup

Zakurum said:
In addition to some strange interfaces, I've found that MIDI importation with the majority of software I've used has resulted in the MIDIs not only losing their Percussion, but the rhythms/beats seem to desync from the original and become choppy and awkward.

Protip: You don't import MIDI files in a MIDI sequencer, you open them. If your software imports rather than opens MIDI files, it's not actually a MIDI sequencer.

Zakurum said:
The software I've worked with so far (Guitar Pro 5, Anvil Studio, NoteWorthy, Finale) has been staff editing software since I am used to that format.

Case in point. None of these programs are proper MIDI sequencers. Use real MIDI sequencing software such as Rosegarden (free, Linux only) or Cakewalk SONAR (non-free, Windows only) if you want to avoid frustration.

Old Post 01-18-14 08:45 #
Foxpup is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Gez
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

Some old threads that may be worth your time:

Music advice for a MIDI newb?
MIDI creation
Free music programs?
Musicians, what do you compose Doom music with?
So how do you make MIDI music?

Old Post 01-18-14 09:40 #
Gez is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote