Archvile
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > Doom Editing > Detailing the ceiling over a lift in Boom comp?

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 02:01. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Cynical

So, I've got a room where the entire floor lowers into a trap using a generalized linedef that targets "lowest adjacent floor" with direction set to "up" so it happens instantly. I don't want this room to have a flat ceiling. But when I make more sectors to put some detail on the ceiling, obviously the lift functionality breaks, since only the sectors bordering the "low neighbor" sector will lower correctly.

Is there an easy way to make this work? If all else fails, can I just brute force it by making a dummy sector for each sector created by ceiling detail?

Old Post 05-06-14 04:16 #
Cynical is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Obsidian
Forum Staple

Unfortunately yeah, you'll have to have control sectors of some sort. Although if you can you can join some of the sectors to remove chaff.

Old Post 05-06-14 04:20 #
Obsidian is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Cynical

Hooo boy... with a sector count of 44, this is going to hurt.

Hopefully I can bring that number down with some joins...

Old Post 05-06-14 04:28 #
Cynical is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
plums

If you're using Boom, you can set up some voodooscript action to lower all the sectors by a fixed amount maybe? Like have a voodoo doll cross several "lower by 24" lines, or the like.

Old Post 05-06-14 04:41 #
plums is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
CorSair
Forum Regular

Make dummy sectors adjoining the target floor.

Old Post 05-06-14 07:57 #
CorSair is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
esselfortium
A Major Doomworld Concern

Unfortunately even if you're setting up all the sectors to move together as lifts, in Boom there's no way to force the game to treat them as one single lift, so it'll be possible for the sectors to get out of sync if a player or monster bumps against an adjacent ceiling while riding up the lift.

This can be avoided by keeping low ceilings away from the lift, or if you're really adventurous it might be possible to use some flat bleeding tricks to do what you're after while keeping the actual lift as a single moving sector. See the diagonal lift past the yellow key door in MAP04 of Back to Saturn X E1 for an example of how to do that.

Old Post 05-06-14 12:33 #
esselfortium is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Memfis
Forum Spammer

By the way, not sure if you have thought of this already, but you don't need to create dummy sectors outside of the map. You can just put little untextured holes in the lift's sectors like this: http://i.imgur.com/XtWiDRV.png I find that much easier to do.

Old Post 05-06-14 13:15 #
Memfis is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote