Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
rabiddoomer

Question on broken teleporter

In Map 12 of Eternal Doom IV, there is an apparently non-working teleporter (video). I opened up the WAD in Doom Builder and saw that the linedef there did have a teleport action and a teleport landing spot properly specified. So I was wondering why teleporting didn't work there.

So I used Doom Builder to move the teleport landing to another room. And the teleporter WORKED. I moved it back to its original spot, and it didn't work.

Is there a reason why the teleporter behaves that way? Why can I teleport to other spots but not that particular spot?

I've finished playing the map and never used the teleporter and never gone inside the room that it supposedly teleports to.

For anyone who wants to look into this, the non-working teleporter is sector tag 231, near the player's starting point of the map. The teleport landing spot is thing tag 232, in a room at the north. I IDCLIP'ed to that room and saw another teleporter there, and ironically that one worked.

The fact that I was able to finish the map indicates that non-working teleporter is not necessary to be used. Eternal Doom IV is an unfinished WAD after all, so maybe the mapmaker left an unfinished object behind. But I'm just wondering, from a map editing standpoint, why the specified teleport action doesn't work there.

That is quite weird: there aren't any scripts that fool around with the teleport or anything. On a side note, none of the outer linedefs had any flags set on them except Hidden: I think I saw this in Kama Sutra as well, so is it a mapmaking program hiccup?

I also tried moving the teleport landing to another spot in the same room. Didn't work. Once the landing spot is OUTSIDE the room, in another room, the teleporter works. There seems to be something about that room that renders a landing spot useless, but I can't figure out what.

Setting the SinglePlayer flag didn't work (screenshot). I deleted the original landing spot and added a new one (which had SinglePlayer selected by default), and the teleporter still wouldn't work. Any landing spot created in that room doesn't work. But if I put the landing spot in some other room, the teleporter works fine. Something about that room.

Kappes Buur, were you able to get the teleporter to work after you made the change at your end?

rabiddoomer said:

..... Something about that room.

Kappes Buur, were you able to get the teleporter to work after you made the change at your end?

The map architecture is fine as it is. Format is ZDoom (Doom in Hexen format).
All that TeamTNT forgot to do, was to set that one flag.
As I said, set the 'Singleplayer' flag on the receiving Teleport Destination.

The reason that it doesn't work for you is, you are using an outdated version of the editor.
Thing 1471 is of type 14 - Teleport Destination, which your editor, judging from your screenshot,
does not recognize.

My screenshot does show the "teleport landing" thing to be type 14, so there's nothing wrong the editor (Doom Builder 2, used by many).

I couldn't teleport to it even if SinglePlayer was set, as I said.

And I already said that once I moved the teleport landing to another room, the teleporter would work. How would you explain that?

Again, were you able to teleport to THAT ROOM at all?

rabiddoomer said:

My screenshot does show the "teleport landing" thing to be type 14, so there's nothing
wrong the editor (Doom Builder 2, used by many).

I couldn't teleport to it even if SinglePlayer was set, as I said.

I don't know what you were doing, all I can tell you is that it works for me.

rabiddoomer said:

And I already said that once I moved the teleport landing to another room, the teleporter
would work. How would you explain that?

As above, I don't know what you were doing.

rabiddoomer said:

Again, were you able to teleport to THAT ROOM at all?

Of course, by the simple method described. Else I would not have mentioned it.

From the observation that your editor does not show the description and icon of thing type 14
I infer that your version of the editor is indeed outdated. I you want to continue to use what
you have now, so be it.

As far as I am concerned there is no point in pursuing the teleporter issue any further.

The icon wasn't showing because I didn't load WAD resource files, because I was at work and didn't have the WADs with me. My screenshot was just to show you SinglePlayer was indeed set. But I did use the latest 2.1.2.1553 version of Doom Builder, so there goes your conclusion out the window. See what your lack of patience led to? Is there anyone else who has more patience than this guy who isn't prone to jumping to conclusion and is willing to help some more?

rabiddoomer said:

..... But I did use the latest 2.1.2.1553 version of Doom Builder, .....

There is a marked difference between Doombuilder and Doombuilder2. Not only in the outward appearance
of the editors, but also in the language used to program them.
I am sure you meant to type Doombuilder2. :-)

Just for your records, version r1553 was published 2 years ago, almost to the day. Since then, Codeimp
had made several improvements to the editor and fixed several bugs, until he, at revision r1630,
handed over further development of Doombuilder2 to MaxEd, to pursue other interests.

With the change of developer there was also a change in the name of the editor, at which point the editor
changed to GZDoom Builder, mainly due to MaxEd's interest in the features which GZDoom offers.
http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=32392
GZDoom Builder is now at revision r1963.

As an aside: Codeimp did publish one further revision of Doombuilder2, namely r1715.

So, I guess I was justified in mentioning that the editor version you use is indeed outdated.

rabiddoomer said:

Is there anyone else who has more patience than this guy who isn't prone to jumping to conclusion and is willing to help some more?

As for 'this guy' being impatient, after pointing out how to fix the teleporter issue three times, and you
obstinately claiming that the fix does not work, I had enough. Did you not wonder if your editing skills may be lacking?

Unfortunately, I am not allowed to publish a modified, fixed version of MAP12 because of the copyright clause.

But I wish you good luck with your pwad editing. If you run into more editing snags, don't hesitate to ask.

Listen to Kappes Buur. Not sure what you're doing in doom builder rabiddoomer, but just checking the "single player" flag for the teleport destination makes it work. Moving the destination from one room to another does nothing when the single player flag is unchecked. It's probably only intended for coop players.

Btw, opening and editing the wad in doom builder 1.68 worked fine for me (the wad is 6 years old after all).

I did listen to him. But after the initial helpful tip, he followed it up with BALONEY. He could've said, "Hey, the icons aren't showing; are you using an outdated editor?" Or, "You are probably using an outdated editor." But some people don't feel like they need to ask question or guess, do they. Btw, I got the teleporter to work with my supposedly outdated editor. So there goes his other conclusion as well: that my mapping skills are lacking. Yes, his tip helped, but his baloneous follow-up was anything but helpful.