Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fraggle

IDMYPOS calculator

In the BTSX E2 thread earlier today I submitted some screenshots of bugs I found while playing, and included the IDMYPOS output so that the authors would know where to find them in the levels. But CSonicGo pointed out to me that most people can't actually decode the IDMYPOS output in any useful or meaningful way.

I kind of took it for granted - since I know all about how the game works internally it's trivial for me to quickly do the conversion from a Python console. Other ports like ZDoom and even Boom have replaced the original, cryptic IDMYPOS output with more readily useful output, but when mapping for Vanilla it might still be useful to be able to decode these numbers.

So I wrote a quick IDMYPOS converter. Simply plug in the hex numbers and it will tell you where the player was standing in the level and which direction they were facing. Hopefully this is helpful to someone, maybe you'll find it useful to ask for IDMYPOS in bug report screenshots for your own levels :)

Neat, bookmarked for future reference. Though some screen fonts are more legible than others, so it would also be neat if IDMYPOS co-ordinates could be sent to stdout.txt when taking screenshots with the F1 key, which would save having to squint at the shots afterwards.

Not only is idmypos tiresome to type, but it also outputs hard to follow hexadecimal "bearing" (what is that?) and position. id Software was probably lazy with it. I can't believe Paul Falstad went along with it so thoroughly when designing the secrets and spoilers (aka my destroyer of all fun from Doom 2) FAQ. That cheat code needs to die, it's an insult, and also obsolete in either MBF or Eternity or Boom, which added coordinates automatically on the map.

Can't disagree with anything there, though obviously I'm not going to change in Chocolate Doom. It certainly makes sense that every other source port has ditched it, though.

The hexadecimal angle is because Doom's internal angle format is a 32-bit integer. This makes the angles wrap around easily (through binary overflow).

Good call. I'd rework the IDMYPOS output into something readable too if you haven't done so. Useful for screenshots (like the ones I linked to)

fraggle said:

Useful for screenshots (like the ones I linked to)

This is how it currently looks (I have turned IDMYPOS into a toggle to switch the coords of and off):

So, I found it inconvenient to have to type IDMYPOS again in order to make them disappear. They will now automatically disappear after twice the usual message time (but of course they will remain in the automap if automap statistics are enabled).